Sunday, May 24, 2015

Beyond the language barrier.

Getting the ink pad and stamps out.
 I think I have mentioned before that a great weakness of mine is not being able to speak Swahili. Jason is fluent and I have gotten asked many times "How come you can not speak the language like your husband?" I do have about 100 vocabulary words memorized. I can say all the basic greetings, am able to buy vegetables in town, and have a 2 to  sentenced conversation with people I visit and meet in town. Despite that though, I am very limited to go deeper and build a relationship with anyone who does not speak English. Every week we go to help out at the medical clinic at the farm. If I could speak in Swahili I would be able to find out the ailments of the patients, and even give them their medicine after reading what the Doctor prescribed. I could ask how I could pray for them and then lift up their requests to the Lord. I could be able to ask each mother about her hopes and dreams for her family, as well as the challenges. Then I would be able to share my own challenges but how God has blessed us and protects us. I am prevented in being able to communicate all of this. Some of the barriers that have prevented me from concentrating on language learning have been pregnancy and home schooling. I have been doing one of those things since arriving here in 2008.  Life does not seem to be slowing down any time soon so having time to study and learn is hard to come by. It however does not keep me from using all that I know and trying hard to communicate.

This does not discourage me from still wanting to leave my home and want to be with people. I still am able to smile and shake their hands and laugh at my own weakness. On Thursday we brought all our stamps, Connect Four, and Old Maid. We were able to play with children with out speaking a word! Each child proudly brought their papers completed with all the stamped objects to their mothers. The mom's admired the different designs. Some children came back for several pieces of paper to continue to create more stamped artwork. At the end of the day I do not want my language barrier to stop me from my calling. The calling to love.

What a gift to have my friend joy living here now. I first met Joy in 2003 when I was an intern.

Children working on the art project while parents sit along the back wall waiting to see the doctor.

Righteous playing a card game.


Connect Four

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Learning a language is one of those things that defies intelligence. I truly envy people who pick up languages easily, as I've been trying to learn Spanish on and off for over 30 years and remain stuck at a beginner level. Don't be discouraged, and don't shrink away from opportunities to challenge yourself.

Renee Stocks said...

Praying for you, Bekah. XO