Thursday, July 16, 2015

Blair Chesson's Update from the Field!



American preachers that I am fond of preach that we should live missional lives, to do everything we do with gospel intentionality. I am finding here that Bekah and Jason have been doing that for the last seven years. There have been so many different things they have done over the years, but when one ministry platform ends another presents itself. God is always paving the way.
                Almost all the people they have relationships with are Muslims. Every relationship is used to further the gospel. They are constantly being a light to others just by the way they live. Being here makes me realize how very little I know about their everyday lives here and how very much they value and think about their relationships at Tucker Swamp and home in general. There is one other American family in their town who is here for a short term commitment and that’s all, other than that they only work with people from Kenya. Their relationships are so natural. They are friends with the people at the toilet paper store and the mini mart and the bean store. Bekah is also great at pursuing relationships in various ways with people in town, like getting henna or their hair braided, everything with an eternal purpose in mind. I like to think this is how my life looks, though it is not quite there. I do not go in Wal-Mart with the intention of having a conversation with a worker, but I could. I don’t go out of my way to try to meet unbelievers, but I should. I should be a more faithful follower and discipler. Jason and Bekah are great examples of what our lives should look like even though we don’t have the title of missionary, we ALL have the same responsibilities as Christians.  We even have it much easier because we can speak the language and know the culture of the lost we should be trying to reach!
                Today we went to the clinic, which happens every Thursday. It is on the same compound as the farm. It is about a 30 minute drive to an off-road location. I don’t have any idea how Bekah got us there. If you know anything about her sense of direction you would realize that was a miracle. There was only a small, not very recognizable, path through riverbeds and brush. There were between 50 and 60 patients seen at the clinic today and lots of medication given out. I counted pills with the help of Nevaeh and Charis (the youngest pharmacist technicians I have ever met). Charis is not the best counter because she has not yet started school. She got it right maybe 5% of the time. Thankfully, Bekah checked behind her. Vicki busily took the blood pressure and temperature of the patients, while Keri, the girls and I made necklaces with the children patients. We also saw the baby goat, at the farm, several times. The ministry opportunities at the compound are extensive. Please pray for the Witts’ and their ministry and for THE HEARTS OF THE MUSLIM PEOPLE HERE TO BE SOFTENED.



No comments: