Tuesday, October 20, 2015

The sick need a doctor

Bagging medicine during the afternoon.
 A great entry point into any community is bringing medical care. It really opens the doors up and tears down the unknown barriers that people groups have. For the past several days we have had a doctor come from Seattle Washington. He had heard about our town a few months back and God laid the burden on his heart to bring his gift of medicine to the people here. This doctor is in his 60s and recently had back surgery. Hot places really bother him. He is using his vacation time to come here and do the medical clinics and when he returns to the States, he goes back to work the next day. I cannot even imagine doing this because jet lag is no joke. It often takes our family a full week to feel back to normal.  I am so very humbled by this doctor. I want to be ready to use my gifts at all times- even on vacation. I do not want my dislikes (like heat) to prevent me from following God's calling. I want to be ready to have a burden for people and carry through what I am suppose to do as the result of that burden.

The first day of the medical clinic we saw around 200 people. Today is the second day and it was well over that amount. Many children were diagnosed with bronchitis which is due to sleeping on dirt and the cooler nights, hot days. That vast temperature change can make many people sick. There were also many cases of skin rashes, often times scabies. There were some more serious sicknesses but the majority were bad headaches due to dehydration and the normal pains that come with age and hard work.

We always have 3 separate stations for medical clinics, which helps everything flow smoothly. The first station is registration/blood pressure/weight. The second station is a consultation with the doctor. Jason was the translator for the doctor on the first day. John Mugo was the translator today. The 3rd and final station is the pharmacy-handing out whatever medicine the doctor prescribed. My self appointed job, wherever I go, is crafts!!! First day Charis helped me to stamps and today we weaved construction paper mats.

All in all I am always reminded, that as wonderful that it is to have the physical health is being treated, our hope is that the spiritual health of a person would come to know Jesus as the Healer and Savior. I am a new person because of Jesus. He has changed my life. Oh how I want others to have this same thing happen to them.

"Later, Levi held a banquet in his home with Jesus as guest of honor. Many of Levi's fellow ta collectors and other guests ate with them. But the Pharisees and their teachers of religious law complained bitterly to Jesus' disciples, "Why do you eat and drink with tax collectors and sinners? Jesus answered them, "Healthy people don't need a doctor-sick people do. I have come to call not those who think they are righteous, but those who know they are sinners and need to repent."
Luke 5:31-32



I am so proud of my girlies for bagging around 7,000 children's vitamins.

Jason translating for Dr. Allen.

People waiting outside. Everyone wanted the empty medicine bottles.

Registration Day1.

Blood pressure day1.

Charis facilitating the craft.


Amos is giving glasses to those who need them.

Caleb helping me with the craft on Day 2.



No comments: