Sunday, October 30, 2016

Remember

Crossing over the bridge. This is an irrigation canal.
 Today we listened to sermon that was based on Deuteronomy 8. It starts off as a recap of how God had rescued the Israelites.
"Remember how the Lord your God led you all the way on the desert these forty years, to humble and to test you in order to know what is in your heart, whether or not you would keep His commands."
 (Deut 8:2)
The Lord took care of every aspect of their lives- ensuring their shoes and clothes would not wear out and that they would have food provided for them everyday. Then God brought them into a land where they would lack nothing.  There was a warning given to them:

"Be careful that you do not forget the Lord your God, failing to observe his commands, his laws and decrees that I am giving you this day" (Deut 8:11).

What speaks out to me, is to not forget everything I have, is a gift from God. We have lived here in Kenya over 8 years now and we have so much. If I look around my home there is so many pieces of furniture, books, and items that have been given to us from people, but ultimately given to us from the Lord. We have more than enough clothing, comfortable beds, and a safe and secured compound to live in. At the farm there is also so much. There is a powerful waterpump that irrigates the plants from the river water. There is a tractor to not only plow the land we harvest from but also to plow the land for others. There are also toilets and a goat house, dormitories, and 3 fish tanks. On the same land as the farm there is a medical clinic- here it is known as a hospital, that can provide medical care every Thursday for anyone who comes. With all these provisions I want to give the credit to whom it is due. God. He is the one who gives. In the weeks, months, and years to come I will thank Him for all He has done and what He will continue to do. May I always remember it is He alone that has made me and brought me to where I am today. I also want to follow the commands He is given in the Bible. Seek first His Kingdom. To obey is greater than sacrifice, Do to others what you would have them do to you. Let me never fall into what verse 17 says,

"You may say to yourself, 'My power and the strength of my hands have produced this wealth for me"
verse 18,
"But remember the Lord your God, for it is He who gives you the ability to produce wealth, and so confirms His covenant, which He swore to your forefathers, as it is today."

I choose to Remember.





 The goat update:
The blood samples came back and confirms that they have  contagious pneumonia. Who knew that goats can get pneumonia just like people can? I, for one, did not! The sickly goats did indeed have a cough and a runny nose with much mucus coming out. It is very contagious and if not treated could wipe out the entire flock. We had the vets come and inject all of them with antibiotics. 6 have died already. What does one do with the dead carcasses of goats? Pour kerosene on the bodies and light it on fire. Most likely wild dogs will still come to find any scraps that still remain. We are hoping that the round of antibiotics will prevent the sickness from spreading anymore. There is so much to lean about shepherding animals!
The Shepherd throwing a big pile of leaves for the goats to eat.

The goats fighting one another to eat the leaves.

This guy looking at us wanting more to eat.

The girls piked up whatever they could scrounge up on the ground to feed the goats.



1 comment:

Renee Stocks said...

Dear God, bless the Witts with hearts that constantly flow with awareness of You, and gratitude for who You are & all You provide, I ask in the Name of Jesus Christ.