We finished up the school year on Friday. We made and decorated cupcakes to celebrate (thank you Chrissy for all of your sprinkles!!!) We started the new school year today. I am thankful for so many things, as I sit here and think about what it has been like to homeschool. I am so thankful for the time we get to learn together. We have some deep discussions and questions about all sorts of things. The curriculum we are using is called Sonlight. It does not have any tests (Woohoo) and Jesus is the center of it (the very best!). Every morning we start off in the word of God. Then we have a time to read about a people group in the world and some challenges they are facing. We all take turns lifting them up in prayer. Often times we pray about our families and loved ones both in America and here in our town, as well as the Bethany missionaries all over.
We learn by reading a variety of books. The majority of the books have a main character that makes a difference in the world. (There are a lot of inspiring missionary biographies but fictional novels as well) As we read about heroes it challenges us to also make a difference. We can start right here in our own family. It is so hard to share and serve our siblings. Our human nature is screaming Me First, this is MINE! I can see my daughters being convicted of their selfishness and apologizing to one another for it. This surprises me all the time because I do not remember being that aware when I was their ages. As we continue to work on our hearts here in the home, we also get many chances to share Jesus' love as soon as we leave our compound. Often the people we serve do not say thank you- but instead are more demanding. My thoughts instinctively say, "if you are not going to appreciate what I am doing for you, than I am not going to give my time/resources/money/etc." I am not here to live by my instincts. I have here to live by the Love of Jesus.
I look forward to this year ahead. Being trained right alongside my girls. These moments are laying down the foundation that will sustain them in the future. I do not take this time lightly at all but am having to ask God for His strength and guidance. To be continued in the months to come....








2 comments:
Thank you! I love reading your posts!
Thank you! I love reading your posts!
Post a Comment