Thursday, December 22, 2016

Nyanza


A tractor that is getting ready to be filled with sugar cane.
 Last weekend we traveled to Nyanza Province. What a beautiful area- full of Farmlands that are often scattered across high hills. It was a 6 hour drive full of wondrous sites. We passed Masai's (they are known for their stretched earlobes and elaborate beaded jewelry) herding their cattle. We also passed many tea farms- which provides the country with their fabulous chai that is drank at 10 am and 4 pm and anytime you want! We finally arrived in Awendo town. In this town there was fields and fields of sugar cane. It gets distributed to 2 large factories and processed into sugar. Everywhere we turned we saw these huge tractors fulled to the brim with sugar cane. Day and night you could hear the roar of the tractor going back and forth to the factories. This is where the money is at in this area.

We were invited by Jason's brother from another mother, Teddy. Upon arrival Teddy and his entire family (maybe around 20 people) were wearing t-shirts with Jason and I's face on it. What an honor! An the honor didn't stop their. We were constantly eating. I do not know how many chickens were slaughtered while we were there but we definitely must have made a dent in the chicken population. Teddy also slaughtered 2 sheep for us all to share. Jason marinated it before going to church to preach. The family were eyeing him suspiciously while he made the marinade with coke- and later on that day gathered around on blankets and chairs to watch him grill it. It turned out to be a success for all.

In this area Polygamy is a normal occurrence in most families. I knew this before we arrived and really didn't know what to think. Teddy's father had 4 wives and was a regular church goer. His Father and 1 of the wives have passed away, but when we arrived we got to meet 3 of the living wives. They live in separate houses side by side. They often cook together, eat together, and do life together. I was so impressed to see how close their relationship was. Each of them were so welcoming to us and treated us like royalty. They have already invited us to come again- and stay longer than we did this time. I still have a hard time to wrap my mind around Polygamy- but as I entered this compound I set out to soak up and watch and learn- not to judge. I value seeing other cultures that are not my own and am humbled when someone is comfortable to share it with me.

The extended family we got to meet was enormous. It seemed there was always a new relative to meet and the hospitality was never ending. I often found myself sitting next to an older lady- and we couldn't communicate one single word to one another- but we would smile and then laugh together. Then someone would translate "This older lady says, she is so happy you are here. But she can only speak JaLuo and you can only speak English so she wants to know what should we do?" Oh I wish I was better a picking up languages!

When it was finally time for us to say goodbye. it was picture taking time. This way we can never forget the many wonderful people we met. I only posted a few- there is many many more. Teddy's mommas and sisters packed up out car with lots of gifts to carry back with us:
Maize
Mangos
2 Live chickens
sugar cane
ground nuts
beans

Some other experiences we had:
My girls tried chicken intestines roasted on a stick for the first time.

We were taking a walk and came across this group of people (cult) all wearing the same color. They eagerly went to shake my daughters hands. Then when I went to greet them they started clapping at me. It was explained to me that children are not considered sinners- but adults are- and they cannot touch sinners.

Samara never ever got full of chewing on sugar cane.

We all pee gallons throughout the night- we peed in a bucket in the night time so that we didn't have to venture outside to the pit latrine- so we got to see the amount each morning.

It was fascinating to seeing different groups go up to dance and worship God in church on Sunday morning. 

We got to eat a green leafy vegetable that had sour milk mixed with it.

We are looking forward to our next trip!! 


Sugar cane

Chewing on sugar cane, sucking the juice from it, than spitting it out.

Farnlands on hills.

Look at the shirt!!!!

Breakfast of mandazi (like a doughnut)

Also maize for breakfast. Teddy is next to Righteous.

The girls always want to help.

Rolling out chapatis.

The sheep that were slaughtered.

Introducing ourselves at church before the girls sing a song.

Jason preaching up a storm.

The church was packed. The other side looks like this too.

The goodbye picture #1.

Goodbye picture #2.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

It was indeed a great moment ,we also enjoyed your presence much,I already miss your family plz come back and stay longer

Renee Stocks said...

Thank you so much for sharing all of this!