Thursday, January 12, 2017

My normal life

Jason is in the red shirt, walking down to see why there is standstill traffic.
 There are some days that are anything but normal. Like today for instance. We were driving to Nairobi when we came to stand still traffic. There is often really bad traffic in Nairobi but this time there was no oncoming traffic at all. Every driver got out of their car expecting a long wait. The peanut sellers were making some money walking up and down the rows of parked cars on the highway. Jason got out to try to walk down and see what the story was. It seems like there was a demonstration that was blocking the whole road. There were tires set on fire for this protest. Jason was on his way back when tear gas was shot to disperse the protest. Less than 5 minutes later traffic resumed as if nothing had happened at all.

Other days I home school the girls, bake cookies, and workout for their P.E. class. When the girls are in bed Jason has made this fantastic platter for us to eat of tomatoes, cucumbers, olives, turkey, pepperonis, and cheese.




 This past Christmas was anything but normal also. We had put up a prayer request on Facebook: One of Jason's farmhands's wife had been taken by a crocodile. One of the schools allowed us to get their boat to use for the search for her body. After days of searching all throughout the river, it was never found. This lady was still breastfeeding her 18 month year old baby before she was taken. This is such a huge loss to that family- really to the whole community. Right now the government has taken the husband's statement and are looking to compensate him. As I think of Christmas Day I think of the of the one Carole: ".....and we will live forevermore because of Christmas Day". This day we celebrate our Savior coming to earth. Because of His life and then death we will have eternity with Him. Many of the people I have met these past 8 years do not believe this. There is no hope in this desert. Their normal lives are trying to simply survive these harsh conditions that are all around them. How desperately I want them to know this will all fade away and in the end all that matters is Jesus. I have so much to be thankful for. I am thankful for the crazy adventures that come. I am also thankful for the regular days at home with my family. But what I am the most thankful for is Jesus Christ giving His life so that I may live.
Jason tying the boat to the pickup

The community searching for the body.

Searching for the body in the river.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

May our father protect us

Brenda said...

Thank you for sharing. I am thankful that you, Jason and the girls are there to minister to the lost. I am praying for you and for the family of the lady who was taken. I pray God may use this to bring others to Him. Blessings

Renee Stocks said...

I pray regularly & fervently for your town. Your desire to live for Jesus spurs me on to live this way, too.