Thursday, August 17, 2017

The week that has just past, and my hope for the future.

Doing crafts in the living room.
 It has been over a week now since the Kenya Elections have taken place. We stayed home for a few days to see how things turned out. Now we are back to our normal schedules as usual and grateful that life here in gtown is normal once again. Kenya still needs prayers for the way forward. We love Kenya and have been called to serve here. In the beginning of our time here, there was so much to adjust too. Some of our adjusting included: Eating Ugali (made from maize flour), greeting everyone by shaking their hands, cooking everything from scratch, buying fresh vegetables every few days from an outdoor stall, driving on the left side of the road, learning to drive stick shift, not drinking directly out of the tap, not letting water run when washing dishes (it is precious!), sweating non stop, people caring to ask how I am and then how Jason is, then how my children are every day, getting asked how I slept every morning, drinking hot tea in someone's home even though it is 100 degrees outside, and so more. Although I still have more to learn about Kenya it has gotten deeply into my heart and there is no going back.

I wanted to post some pictures of our past week and I realized in a lot of them we are preparing food to eat Ha! That is such a huge part of our daily life and our fellowship here. We get together with other believers to read the Bible, pray together, and then share a meal. This is an absolute perfect combination if you ask me. As we are raising our daughters here I sometimes think about what they might be missing out on, and there is a lot. But then I think about all that they are gaining too. Righteous has started to learn how to write Chinese. Every Thursday our family gets to serve in the community together at the farm and medical clinic. I love getting to breath in the air of a more slower paced life, there is never a hurry for things to happen and not a jam packed schedule each week. We have plenty of time to make home made noodles and do crafts like we are in a nursing home. My hope is that my girls will develop a passion for the nation and a yearning to follow Jesus wherever He asks. That they will be content when they have more than enough or when they are lacking. When there are quiet times I pray they ask for the presence of God to come,  that sometimes passes by in a Whisper and not the loud wind, fire or earthquake. I want  them to see people in all shades of color the way that God's sees them, in His very own image. All of these prayers I have for my daughters, I also ask for myself.
I participated in making dumplings for my first time. I was on a Skype call and the picture taker the time before.

If we ever come into contact with a baby, there is a constant fight for who gets to hold her, it was Charis's turn for a few minutes until baby gets passed off.

The filling for the dumplings.

Two different shapes.

Righteous's Chinese lesson.

House church about God being the good Shepherd. 



"My sheep listen to my voice, I know them, and they follow me" John 10:27

The big task of making noodles.

You stretch out the dough, wrip it, stretch it again.

Lastly you add the noodles to boiling water in the pot.

Wood ear and Chinese onions in soy sauce.

Boiling up some crabs from the coast.

Flipping the crab.

Sautéing the crab in spices. We eat the crab with the shell and everything. Very tasty.

Ingredients for the Kung Pao  chicken.


Kung Pao chicken ready to eat.

2 comments:

Renee Stocks said...

May the Lord grant the desires of your heart, I ask in the Name of Jesus Christ. I don't even know how many Sunday School lessons I've taught using those very felt pieces. 😊 Thank you for all the pictures!

Renee Stocks said...

May the Lord grant the desires of your heart, I ask in the Name of Jesus Christ. I don't even know how many Sunday School lessons I've taught using those very felt pieces. 😊 Thank you for all the pictures!