Sunday, February 4, 2018

Ministry

Ashley is helping me share the story of Daniel in the Lions den .
 The Bethany interns have completed their four months of Swahili learning and have shifted into the ministry phase. In some ways the possibilities are endless but in other ways there are limitations of what is appropriate living in a Muslim majority society. Basically if you are a woman you minister to other women and children and if you are a man you will work with men. How does one get started and know what to get involved with? For these next few months Jason and I will plug the interns into different schools and other opportunities so that they can see what options they have. Then for their last months they will make their own schedules and choose what they want to do. I am so excited to have a girl intern shadow me for 3 weeks at a time so that they can see what it is like to be a Mom on the mission field. Most of my days are filled with homeschool and preparing meals for my family. The beauty of homeschool gives us the flexibility to go to serve at the clinic at the farm once in awhile or do a Bible story and craft at a local school. This is very special for me to get my daughters out into the community to have a better understanding of why we are here in Kenya. We are here to love and worship God and love the people who do not know that Jesus has died and resurrected. Our desire is for them to know.

Jason is also having a guy intern shadow him at the farm. Another guy intern is shadowing our great friend Amos. We met Amos for the first time when we came to Kenya on a 3 week trip, after our freshman year of college. We admired his faithfulness to God and his deep love for the people here. Now we work alongside each other and are encouraged by him and his family. Last week Amos and two guy interns helped build us to start a new soak pit. Our old one has is not working so a new one is urgently needed. Our lives are not filledwith glamorous stories that one might think. Some days it is just fixing things that a broken. Some days it is training up my daughters in the way they should go. I live in another country and therefore get called a missionary. But I don't want to get caught up in that word. I use to put pressure on myself. I felt that I must have certain requirements in order to be a successful missionary. I am thankful that God is not asking that of me. He does not grade me. He loves me. Because of that I love Him. As a result of that I offer myself as a living sacrifice. Each day looks different from the other but each day is for Him.

Charis passing out the papers. 

Samara puts the mane on the lion craft.

Cherish has been teaching at this school for the past 3 weeks.

The hole is dug by hand for the new soak pit. 

Cement bags that will be mixed with pebbles and water by hand.

Puppies supervising.

Brandon.

Dominick digging.

Work in progress.

1 comment:

Kaiyeluh said...

I love the photos you share