Sunday, January 14, 2018

The Blur that is life

   As I sit and reflect over the last 2 months of 2017. It’s all a blur.  I keep wondering how we made it through that.  I see all that God has done and stand amazed.  Truly amazed.  Let’s be honest  I am terrible about blogging. Rebekah tells me constantly you should blog about that or this.  I usually never do because I do not want to fall into the sin of pride.  I know it’s a struggle for me so expressing what is going on and what is happening feels like temptation so I usually avoid it all together.  I also realize that not sharing what God is doing is sin! I am depriving Him of the glory that He deserves because I am afraid of pride coming in. 



    November was a hard month I was really struggling to keep up with the workload and the responsibilities.  I asked for prayer for God to give me grace in the midst and show me what to focus on.  Two days later Phillip, my farm manager and my right hand man was in a motorcycle accident and literally broke his right arm completely.  I found myself frustrated with God I just asked you for help and then this happens…  What kind of help is that?  Now He would have to be taken to Nairobi to have a surgery to put a metal plate in the arm to secure the bone back in place.  In the midst of this situation God showed me that He is at work and he opened my eyes.  As I was trying to be frustrated and mad at Him, He overwhelmed me with His goodness.  There we sat an American, a far east person, a Kamba person, and a Luo person fighting over who was going to take him ( a Kikuyu person)to Nairobi for the surgery.  You might ask why that is significant.  In Kenya tribal lines for the most part run very deep.  People always know who is which tribe because of names or the place they come from.  If you have kept up with Kenyan politics it goes based on these lines heavily as well.  But there we were each of us from different tribes and all wanting to be the one to take him for the surgery.  In that moment God showed me, look at what I am doing showing you a picture of a piece of heaven that I am allowing you to take part in right here.  I was overwhelmed with His goodness in the realization of that.  He then took it a step further when I saw the outpouring and concern of the people from our village.  When they heard he was in an accident they all wanted to come and see him. They wanted to know how he was.  My phone was ringing nonstop with concerned people.  These are M people from our village but M or C it didn’t matter what mattered is we are one family and one of us was hurt therefore all of us were concerned.  What people normally say about our group on the farm is we are made up of more than 8 tribes and 2 religions, but none of us care because we are one family.
     It is easy at times to feel like you are running in place, or you are taking 2 steps forward to take another 3 backward.    What I know is that God is working in the hearts of His people and the hearts of the people who will be His!  That encourages me so much! He is softening the hearts of men! He is drawing them to Himself! He is!
So we recently took a field trip with 9 of the guys from our village to go and see Phillip in his home place. This was the first time for many of them to ever leave the area kind of like taking the Clampits to Beverly hills.  We had a great time! They asked specifically to see pigs because they have never seen pigs before  because it’s a dirty animal in their religion.  Some of them were trying to convince the other that we should buy them and raised them on the farm!

     But the huge thing that God did was that for the very first time in the 7 years I have been working with these people. God provided a natural and spirit led opportunity for me to walk through the Bible from Genesis to the Gospels with one of them. He even agreed to read the Bible and expressed interest reading it.  He is working all the time it may not look like we want it to. Make no mistake He has a plan. 

 
Breakfast  in Muranga

I have since confiscated this hat and gotten him a new one

Proof of the pig touching

Snoozing with my bro

The guys were freezing in Muranga it was the coldest place they have ever been. It was like 65 degrees they are used to 100

2 comments:

extraspecialbitter said...

Here in New England we would call 65 degrees "a record-setting heat wave".

Renee Stocks said...

Your post reminds me of a quote a friend shared with me recently. The quote is, "I want to challenge my circumstances with God's Word, rather than challenging His Word with my circumstances." Thank you for sharing so transparently. The beginning of your blog reminded me of a quote from a missionary I read many years ago. He wrote, "First God's work is impossible. Then it is difficult. Then it is done." Praying for protection & joyous perseverance for you, Jason. ❤