Saturday, July 21, 2018

Male dominant society

My friend Joyce recently introduced us to a S. Family that moved here from spending many years in Pennsylvania. I was so surprised to hear the Mom had voted for Trump.

"The Lord blessed the latter part of Job's life more than the first. He had fourteen thousand sheep, six thousand camels, a thousand yoke of oxen and a thousand donkeys.
And he also had seven sons and three daughters.

The first daughter he named Jemimah, the second Keziah and the third Keren-Happuch.

Nowhere in all the land were there found women as beautiful as Job's daughters, and their father granted them an inheritance along with their brothers." Job 42 :12-15

This verse speaks out so loudly to me that Job gave some of his inheritance to his daughters! This was a time period that things were only passed down through the male offspring but Job stood out and went against the grain.

Here in Kenya there are people with much and people with barely anything at all but I would venture to say that almost all own a piece of land as part of their inheritance. There are many arguments that can break out due to land. These disagreements have elevated at times and people have been killed due to land. I have driven buy many empty plots of land that have signs posted Not for Sale or British English Not to Let, which is to prevent the arguments and disagreements. Many parts of Kenya are changing to allow for equality between men and women which is such a blessing. Inheritance can be given to both sons and daughters in many places. Here in gtown, where we live, it is somewhat stuck in the Old Testament ways in so many levels. One being land is still only passed down to the males in the family.

Last weekend I went to visit my M friend who had recently had a baby boy and completed her 40 days at her Mom's house. Now she has returned to live with her husband and was so open to share about her culture and religion when is comes to giving birth. Seven days after a boy baby is born 2 goats are slaughtered. If it was a baby girl only 1 goat would be slaughteted. To be a female is not equal to being a male in this society and it starts from birth.

The Lord has given us four daughters. I would have rejoiced if the Lord had given me some sons or even just one son. But I rejoice that I have been entrusted to raise daughters. They are a gift and my life is abundant. Sadly those I meet in town do not think this way. The post office man has told me that he is praying to Allah to grant me a boy. Another man who has checked out my groceries has asked me why I do not have any boys as if I am somehow in control of that. I have recently taught 5th grade reproduction to Righteous and we learned that the sperm is what determines the sex of a baby sir. (I only said this in my head.)

 I believe that I have the priveledge to testify that daughters are just as valuable as sons. I will continue to reaffirm this to Righteous, Nevaeh, Charis, and Samara and by doing so I pray that we can go out and also speak this truth to the other women, ladies, and little girls we encounter. For we are all created in the Lord's image. There must be other Job's out there. That will not follow the ways of how things have always been done but will take a stand to change things for the better.

"So God created man in His own image, in the image of God he created him, male and female He created them." Genesis 1:27





Every afternoon the girls enter into imaginative play. Here they explained they are reinacting the Little House on the Prairie books.

Sand provides lots of play.

Charis picks leaves to create something with them.

Charis and Samara hide from me taking their picture while Nevaeh pushes them.

Nevaeh makes some great faces.

Righteous laughs at her sisters.

1 comment:

Renee Stocks said...

Your use of these verses from Job opened a perception of him I have not considered before. Thank you for your beautiful living out of the Scripture & your authenticity.