Recently I took a vision/exposure trip to a town North of us with a group of fellow workers here in Gtown. About halfway to the town there is a beautiful smooth paved road that you would think is leading to some big city but that is not the case. The tarmac ends in a very small town and very abruptly. I was constantly looking for something important that was being exported to other parts of the country that warranted the need for such a nice road but never found it. Where the tarmac ended you would have thought that you now were driving on the moon. Its one of those roads that no one drives on the road but there are several alternate detours driving alongside what is called the "road". It took us about 7 hours to reach the town and I was really wondering what we would find especially since on the way there I could not imagine where this road was leading to. People have often told me that they feel like we live at the ends of the earth and on this trip I actually understood for the first time how they felt.
I was pleasantly surprised with the place. The streets were paved and organized. There was ample space for parking which is not the case in our town. The town was not over crowded. It was clean and it seemed well planned. The size of the different plots of land were big enough to allow development and growth. W town still runs on generator power because its too rural to hook into the national grid at this time. While we were there a major power line in Nairobi had fallen and left almost the entire country without power. But while we were in rural W town we were enjoying the fans and the AC drinking cold sodas. I found the people of W town to be friendly and receptive to our limited visit. I had actually been told the people from W town were more hospitable and friendly than the people of Gtown and that seemed to be the case in the very short time we were there. We visited with different friends in the town and they introduced us to their friends and the efforts of the work they are doing in the community. We visited some churches that have existed there for many years and heard of the struggles and victories they have faced over those years. It was a encouraging time to see the local church being a light in its community. One church there has a school and a clinic that primarily serves the local community. They are tangibly loving the people of W town being Jesus to the people. As we move forward and see how the Lord leads it would be an honor and a joy to be able to partner with these brothers and sisters there to see Jesus made known in that place. NO THIS DOES NOT MEAN WE ARE MOVING! This trip was for the purposes of possibly launching workers in the future to this region.
I took this trip with 6 other brothers from G town. We all work together in some way or the other. This was a unexpected trip for me I heard they were going and I asked to tag along. I am so glad I did. For one it was great to see and learn about a new place. It was the second blessing that I was not prepared for. Taking this trip with other brothers that are like minded and that I can really relate to made me realize how much I missed the comradery of others brothers. I tend to too often be a island aside from Rebekah (who is absolutely my best friend and one and only). Also any of you that know me know that I hate being apart from her and the girls. I am so glad that I went on this trip and the Lord used it to bond me to 6 more brothers in a closer way. We got to share stories and get to know how each of came and the histories that we have. It was a great time of getting to know one another and understand one another better. When arriving back home having the realization that there was a longing to have these times more often and believing others felt the same. The Lord gave me an idea. Our wives have a monthly meeting where they get together once per month so why couldn't we do that. The wives were meeting on the coming Saturday so I though why don't we try to have our meeting coincide. I thought how do I get men to come to a meeting with such little time. I though meat, ugali ,and coke and I guess it worked because we had 23 men show up for the first Men's fellowship meating within 48 hours notice. For this meating we had no agenda just to eat meat and drink Coke while catching up and sharing our lives together. Now we have set it to have these meatings every month. I am looking forward to seeing how God uses these times together to encourage and build us up as brothers In Christ.
In all things we give glory and honor to Jesus for showing us "new things" that lead us to places to start "new things".
| Pics in a local village outside the town |
| Even the Grass huts have electricity we call these nyumba ya(house of ) no smoking because of how fast they burn if fire catches |
| Someones home |
| A better pic of the wire going into the hut |
| if this goat gets lost you can call the owner |
| we made it all the way to W town |
| a local restaurant called the Titanic with wall to wall mirrors |
| their house special called the federation |
| another titanic shot |
| a salt water lake formed by an underground spring. named after a Jewish company that discovered it while harvesting stones from the quarry. Of course I took a dip in, it was so nice |
| pics with the staff of the clinic |
| we left our brother Lemmy behind to do some research |
| Men's Meating making the ugali |
| the UGALI |
| The meat and the soup we finished over 13 kilos of meat |
| the main agenda of the MEATing being addressed |
2 comments:
Jason! I love it when you write! Thank you so much for sharing so transparently. And, I rejoice with you over the response to this first Meating! This sounds like exactly the kind of guys group my husband would love!
Good stuff!🙂 As I read about your discovering the need for "guy fellowship" ... I wonder how many great things we're missing because we simply don't know that we need or would enjoy them. I've heard many brothers say that they do fine by themselves and prefer to be alone. Even if that's true, it either reveals a selfish spirit or one that's never experienced true fellowship. Glad that you're connecting with others. God has existed in community for eternity...we need it too!🙂🙏
Post a Comment