![]() |
| Jason sitting on the ground at one of the restaurants thst was actually opened during the day, in Mombasa. There was a limited menu compared to when it isn't Ramadan but it was just fine for us. |
This time of year always distinguishes itself from other months. The farmworkers always start working earlier than normal so they can finish early and sleep the whole afternoon. They also always want an advance on their salaries so that they can buy more expensive food to break their fast as the sun goes down.
The mosques are more active and recite the Quran for several hours in the evening and start up again at 3am. The 2 guy interns live right next door to a Mosque and have been suffering the consequences with the constant reminder that it is indeed Ramadan. They can hear the loud speakers blasting for hours right through the windows of their house. They are tremendously looking forward to things going back to normal.
During the beginning of these 30 days of Ramadan Our family traveled to Mombasa to visit our dear friends. While we were with them we attended their daughters birthday party. It was beautiful to see the mixture of people that were in attendance from different faiths. When it was time to cut the cake and pass it out, the Muslims said they would save their piece until it was time to break the fast. One of the missionaries asked the question, "What is the reason they are fasting?" It is always interesting to hear the different responses. Many are doing it as a tradition that has always been done, or because the prophet has said to do so. It makes me examine my own life. Is there any "ritual" I do without much thought because it is something that I have grown up doing? It's important to know the why's and to be ready to give an answer. For example when we pray before eating a meal it is to give thanks to God who has provided the food.
Right before Ramadan started I got the phone call that my friend in Gtown, that had been battling stomach cancer, had passed away. Her body was buried the next day. I have longed for her to repent and accept Jesus for so many years. In the end I don't know whether or not she ever did. This weighs heavily on me. I have been able to go to her family to say I'm sorry for their loss. It is difficult to know what else to say. I was able to pray and ask that God would comfort them during this time of mourning. This past Friday they cooked food in honor of their loved ones that have passed away. They said they were praying for those who have died and asked me to come collect a container of food they had prepared. Faith in Jesus is so different. We do not pray for the dead but the living. Now I am asking God for salvation come to this family. They are very generous with what they have. They are committed to doing the acts each day to be accepted into paradise. Still they have no assurance. I desperately want them to know that Jesus is more than a prophet.
![]() |
| My friend that has passed away. We were at a wedding with her years ago and Jason and I got matching clothes that the relatives were wearing. |
![]() |
| My friend was helping me with my make-up. |
![]() |
| We had gone to visit some of our "neighbors" and I love how they have decorated their living room with a wrap around couch and face curtains and pillows. |





1 comment:
So sorry for your loss 😞 May God use this to draw the rest of the family to himself...
Post a Comment