We have been enjoying "wearing our hair down" and wearing shorts on the beautiful warm weather days. Some of our daughters have become country music fans and have been drinking sweet tea at anyplace that has it as an option (which is at most places). I had been admiring all the cotton and peanut farming fields while we were driving around Virginia. Life here can seem so vastly different from our lives in Kenya. When we are there us ladies wear long skirts/dresses with a long slip underneath. We do not cover our heads but will always have our hair up when we leave our house. When we visit with our neighbors there, we are offered soda from a glass bottle or a mug of hot chai (tea with milk and flavors of ginger, cardamom, and cloves). We are very intentional to mostly have conversations women to women and men to men because of the culture. We take advice from Paul when he says,
"Though I am free and belong to no one, I have made myself a slave to everyone, to win as many as possible. To the Jews I became like a Jew, to win the Jews. To those under the law I became like one under the law (though I myself am not under the law), so as to win those under the law. To those not having the law I became like one not having the law (though I am not free from God's law but am under Christ's law), so as to win those not having the law. To the weak I became weak, to win the weak. I have become all the things to all people so that by all possible means I might save some. I do all this for the sake of the gospel, that I may share in its blessings." 1Corinthians 9: 19-23
Here is another list of us feeling like foreigners in this American land:
1) One of my teenage daughters had to learn to tie shoelaces. We wear open toe shoes all year around in Kenya.
2) We witnessed how convenient it is to order groceries from the phone ahead of time and have it packed into your car once arriving at the grocery store.
3) One of my daughters pointed out that doorstoppers are attached to the door for a quick and easy way to prop the door open. We have wedges in Kenya that often get lost.
4) The slushie machines at 711 are handfree- its weird not to manually push buttons or pull down levers.
5) In America police officers pull people over by turning their lights on in their police cars. In Kenya police officers stand on the road and pull people over by gesturing to them with their hands.
![]() |
| Play showing the early church. |
![]() |
| Easter Sunday with the neices and nephews. |
![]() |
| I thought it was so cool to see this sign at Southside Baptist church. |
![]() |
| Picking up groceries that were ordered ahead of time at Walmart. |
![]() |
| Door stopper attached to the door. |





1 comment:
I so enjoy reading about what you all notice that is different between your two worlds!
Post a Comment