 |
The hallway at Bethany. "How can they call on Him unless they believe in Him? How can they believe in Him unless they hear about Him? How can they hear about Him unless someone preaches to them? And how can anyone preach without being sent?" Romans 10: 14-15
|
Back in the day Jason (originally from Virginia) and I, Bekah (originally from New York) met in Minnesota. We met at a missionary training college- that gave us a bachelor's degree after 4 years of completion. The first 2 years were spent in the classroom where we had Cultural Anthropology, Preaching and Teaching, Spiritual Warfare, Evangelism, Theology, Hermaneutics, and other Bible classes. Our junior year was spent overseas on an internship. This gave us a chance to practically apply all that we had learned and to see if we really were called to permanently leave America and start our career as missionaries. We were dating at the time so were in 2 different locations in Kenya but had opportunities to collaborate. Our internship truly tested us to be away from the "comforts" of all we have ever known and showed us what it was like to be away from our families. This sacrifice was especially felt during the holiday times of Thanksgiving and Christmas. It was a test to see what a totally different culture eats, how they greet, how they practice their religion and live out their faith. We had to figure out how to culturally adapt and speak/act appropriately. We also sought to be attentive on how we could be God's vessels where we were located in Kenya. Looking back I see how young I was. Not only had never cooked a meal, I really didn't know what my giftings were and how I could be useful. God began developing that in me during my internship. God confirmed a calling in our hearts by giving us an unconditional love for the Muslims in the region we are currently living in. God also provided a place of ministry for us to land our feet, a home that was already furnished, and other missionaries we could partner with.
1 comment:
I have prayed for the many adjustments they are moving through right now.
Post a Comment