Sunday, June 2, 2024

Regional retreat in Malindi

On the boat coming from Gtown and heading across the Tana River to Madogo (neighboring town).

Last week we were able to gather together as a team of Bethany Global workers and participate in a regional retreat. We were 29 people total from North Africa, Kenya and the USA. Many thanks to Brian and Patty Arensen to lead the morning sessions and share their own overseas stories. Brian went over individual assessments on what motivates us on the mission field. I was able to look at my results and see how they compared to Jason's and how it effects us in our marriage. We also gathered together as a G-town team and saw how all of our results add value to the community where we live. We also got to discuss areas we are lacking as a team. We are incredibly grateful to Bradyn Allen and Julia Oats (former interns) raising their own money to travel and be with us at this retreat. They organized a childrens program the whole week so that parents could be comfortable to attend the morning sessions. I want to share what I gleaned but first let me tell you the major hurdle/challenge it was to actually travel to Malindi.

When we were making the plans for the retreat we were counting on driving in our vehicle to get there- just as we have many other times. This flooding season has prevented any vehicles from driving in or out of G-town using the normal road. There are alternative routes, that take a longer travel time but we didn't know if they were fully functioning. Jason went into town to do some research asking around if any buses were successfully getting to Malindi using these alternative routes. He got a positive response so our G-town team woke up early on Saturday morning to set out on the journey. We drove past giraffes, wart hogs, baboons and gazelle. We went through lots of diversions and small towns that if you blinked you would miss them. We tried to cross places that had high flood waters and eventually had to turn around. We finally made it to Masalani and talked to police officers who told us the only way to Malindi was taking the road back in Gtown. We were incredibly disappointed. We ate some below average beans and rice in a local restaurant and drove all the way back home. We were in the car for 11 hours that day. Sunday morning we all took a boat to get from Gtown to neighboring town Madogo and were able to drive to Malindi in 4 and a half hours. We praise God for safety on the roads and traveling mercies. 

Boats bringing people in and out of Gtown. 

the Gtown team.

We stayed at a beautiful resort that not only had a buffet style food for 3 meals a day but also had a "high tea time" with pastries everyday at 10am and 4pm. Their was a view of the Ocean and 2 pools to swim in. We only had sessions in the morning so that everyone could hang out and get to know eachother in the afternoons. For the sessions we looked at different Psalms and saw how David would Lament before God. After reading through a chapter we would answer the questions, to whom the Psalmist is talking and what he is addressing. We looked at the verses where deliverance was asked and how he still praised God. This was a constant pattern throughout the chapters in Psalms. Patty was so vulnerable about her own testimony and how she makes quilts to show what God teaches her when reading scripture. This was very affirming for me because I like to make crafts with children when I teach stories from the Bible. At the end of the week we were challenged to write our own lament. Here is what I came up with:

"Lord, allow me to make this request once again. Speak and be near to my daughters who are ultimately your daughters. 

I see the times when they have great joy dwelling and interacting with children in Gtown.

I see times when they struggle with lustfull stares and comments from men. They wonder what life would have looked like growing up in America and being just a normal kid instead of third culture kids. They tell me they are lonely and they have no friends.

 Fill them with Your Assurance of unfailing love. Remind them you have a plan for their future and what they are encountering right now prepares them for what You have next for them. Use their lives for Your glory and to strengthen them to be mighty warriors for you. Receive our praise and allow our actions/words to be a sweet aroma unto you. "



Made it to Malindi. Beautiful Indian Ocean. Photo credit: Marissa Earls.




Jason's Lament:

" Lord, You know there are days where I feel like I am wasting my life and the lives my wife and  children. 
There are days I feel like a failure as a husband, father, son,  leader, and friend. 
There are days that I want to quit, give up, and just be normal and not live under the pressures that exist whether internally or externally. 
But then I know 'my feelings' are fleeting. They cannot be trusted and do not equal Your truth.
Your truth says You are good and faithful. 
Your truth says I can trust you.
Your truth says You are everlasting and unchanging. 
Your truth says You love me and created man in Your image.
Your truth says You have already won.
Your truth says If I love you then I will obey you. 
I choose to trust in and obey Your truth. 

Help me, lead me to be faithful and obedient to all the things You have called me to.
I will give You praise for any good thing I accomplish with my life.
I am Yours.
Make me, mold me, use me for Your will and the glory of Your Name. "
 

I love drinking fresh coconut water.

The week was full of many laughs from our talent show evening, and special memories made taking a glass bottom boat to do some snorkeling along the corral reef. My favorite was just the time getting to know those serving in North Africa and including them as part of the bigger team. For their security I can't post pictures but they are raising some beautiful children and from conversations with them they have a heart to follow the Lord's calling using business as Missions. We hope to have these retreats annually if possible and are thankful for God's provision to allow for this one to happen. 


Righteous enjoying Coast life.

Patty Arensen made this incredible quilt, it's named Stillborn.

Description of the quilt.

One night there was a talent show. Paul and Ashley showed us all how to make a vanilla latte.

Precious Zeenat read us a chapter of a story she is writing.


Charis turned 14 on May 30. The staff sang and danced a birthday song and made a cake for her. Photo credit: Ashley Kary ( and the following photos)

Righteous trying to not get bounced around by the waves.

This crew went snorkeling and saw a variety of fish that were swimming along the corral reef.

Shamsa and Nevaeh holding on to the side of the boat.

 

Charis is being Nevaeh's hands and getting ready to brush her teeth (face). Righteous is being Samara's hands and getting ready to put on her makeup. 

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Jason, all i can do now is praying for you for courage and determination as you continue serving Him.

Renee Stocks said...

I'm so sorry your trip included 11 hours of unfruitful travel, but am so glad you were ministered to at the retreat!