Tuesday, August 26, 2025

Launching Righteous

A sweet friend sent this.

Yesterday we had our final hug goodbye with Righteous. We are on the road to Minnesota. We will fly out to Kenya on September 5th. I want to type out a liturgy that Marissa sent to me months ago and has been a prayer on my lips almost daily. 

"God, it feels impossible to imagine our lives without her with us.
One less person on the couch in the evenings, 
One less voice echoing happily through our home,
One less plate at the dining room table,
One less hug in the mornings,
One less passport to carry through immigration.
The weight of the loss is heavy,
And the grief is tangible.
We need Your Spirit to carry us through, 
And show us how to move forward in a new way.

It has been such a gift to steward this daughter for 18 years- to love and nurture, teach and train, disciple and defend, celebrate and support. I selfishly want to keep her with me, to continue to enjoy delighting in this amazing human that I've had the privilege in raising. But the very thing we've worked so hard to do is embodied in a person we must now let go of.
And yet, You go before her and behind her- there in the new place You're leading her, and behind her here where we'll be missing her presence. 
I confess it feels unfair that other people get to have their adult children close by (or on the same continent at least)
While mine will be on the other side of the globe. Help me not let bitterness grow in my heart, because the truth is, 
You are just and kind, and what sometimes feels like You being unfair is just Your grace to me that I can't see yet. 
Help me leave space for grief,
Yet also choosing joy-
Delighting in this precious child
You've given me-
Mine, 
And yet,
Yours-
Deeply loved by us both
No matter where in the world you lead her."
The entrance to her school.

We were so impressed with seeing the Bible College because it reminded us a lot of Bethany College of Missions. Some include that There are chores the students are required to keep up with, a lot of teachers and staff live on campus, quiet hours start at 10, no candles in the dorms, the small size and activities, small cafeteria, emphasis on Bible and Missions, and you can call the professors by their first name. We got to help Righteous hang up all her clothes and made multiple trips to Walmart to buy snacks and last minute things. We also got to attend a worship service which reminded me of a concert. Jason and I were balling singing one of the songs because the words were a hard truth that we are living out:

How will they know unless their told

"Oh the price you paid
Washed the world with grace
Freely gave Your life
So that I'd have mine
There's no cost too great
Here's my sold out life
I can't help but tell em all

I won't hold back anything 
I will give You everything 
All my life an offering 
To live is You to die is gain
Send me out I'm unashamed 
I will go do anything 
Every yes with no restraints
To live is You to die is gain"

Their is a beautiful view we enjoyed sitting and looking out at.

Righteous is so beautiful. 
Me and the younger 3 got our nails done while Righteous was in Orientation classes all day.
We got invited to eat dinner at one of the teachers homes. Righteous snuggled with me and everything felt so normal being the 6 of us.

Righteous made each of us a special gift that she had been working on this past year. Jason holds his in his hand- lots of letters she wrote to him.
I asked Samara what makes her sad about this- she said, "Everything ".
Righteous made me a journal that has devotionals for each day. She pre recorded her own thoughts about the verses- I can't wait to be watching and hearing her voice!

Charis and Righteous have been working on drawing portraits in a sketchbook.
For anyone wondering what the temperature was. Please pray for Righteous to adjust to fall and winter!
Organizing things things in drawers while talking to Righteous RA- who is a MK (missionary kid)- her parents are overseas.
It was difficult for Righteous to open her mail locker but she has people willing to help her. If anyone wants to send her a letter ask me for her address. 

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love this! I know it will be hard (I’m not even there, I’m 8-9 years away) but it will be good. Love you guys!

Anonymous said...

Tears streamed while reading this beautiful post and prayer. Not there yet but I know the time will come soon enough. My heart walked through this with you while reading...praying for you as you navigate the empty space only your Righteous girl can fill! May the Spirit be gentle with your heart pouring grace upon grace. ❤️

Renee Stocks said...

You are moving through a deeply ambivalent season as a family. It takes such courage to choose to be separated, whether by a few hours or by oceans. I will continue to pray for your family's comfort, as you live out this enormous family-life transition. XO

Anonymous said...

So emotional! I can just imagine how it felt for you driving back without her, all in all may grace abound to you and your family.
Welcome back to country +254, praying with your family.

Anonymous said...

My heart is so full as I read your words (and Marissa's!!!!!) Such a blessing to know you!!!