There is a customer who is an older gentlemen and comes into Fatboys everyday (this actually describes several of our customers). He is very affectionate towards Righteous, always tickling her or grabbing her hand as we walk by. I have always found him to be a harmless old man who is lonely and finds joys from babies like many do. Yesterday he asked me when her birthday was, and right before he left said,
"That girl of your is going to be a heart breaker someday, might be mine"
As soon as he was out the door I was ushered over by two other regulars who told me that the man that just left got asked to leave their church because he was molesting children.
Immediately my stomach got a sick feeling and the momma in me went into protect mode where I would never want Righteous to ever have to come in contact with this man again. I would say I have a high tolerance for all kinds of people, those that others find tremendously annoying I can befriend but when it comes to anyone that hurts a child I have no sympathy and want the harshest punishment for them. All afternoon I replayed all of the touching this man has done to Righteous and all the things he has said about her being beautiful etc. Anger and disgust was increasing every hour and then the thought in my head came,
"Would Jesus treat this man any differently upon knowing his sin?"
"How has Jesus shown Himself towards me and the sin I have in my life?"
I know there will be a day when all of us we be held accountable for everything we have done in life and reading in Matthew 18 I see that Jesus has a special place for children for
"unless we change and become like children we will never enter the kingdom of heaven"
and a harsh but very real warning:
" But if anyone causes one of these little ones who believe in me to sin, it would be better for him to have a large millstone hung around his neck and to be drowned in the depths of the sea."
I am grateful I don't have to return to work until next Tuesday. I have all this time to pray about how I am suppose to react and treat this man.
No comments:
Post a Comment