Thursday, June 5, 2008

Driving to my grandpa's funeral



This past weekend we drove to Long Island to mourn the loss of my grandpa, Vincent Detrinis, with my family. There is so many blessings that came out of it. First of all I am grateful that he is no longer in pain and that He loved the Lord and sought God's heart everyday of his life. It is because of his foundations towards his children that my mom is saved and then raised me knowing Jesus. My Grandpa's life truly is a legacy and he will not be forgotten. I am so glad he passed away while we are still here in the States! We leave in 10 days and I would have been so distraught if I had to hear about his death from Kenya and then not be able mourn his loss with my family. Also I was not going to be able to see my brother Josiah before I left because he is in the marines and they weren't allowing him leave until a few days after our departure but he was able to get some bereavement days. Jason and I picked him up from a greyhound bus station here in Virginia and we all drove together up to Long Island. I got to spend a whole day with Josiah which I thought wasn't even going to be a possibility. I am just so so grateful for that day. It was even great to be able to say goodbyes to my relative who flew in for grandpa's funeral so that is another blessing.

With just 3 days left here in Virginia I think we are in great shape as far as all packed up. We have a few things that we a trying to finalize like selling our Honda Civic and renting a car to drive up to be with my familyToday I got to eat at one of my favorite restaurants, the Olive Garden, and tried to savor each bite knowing it will be the last time eating there for the next three years. I think I have a mental list of different foods and desserts that I want to make sure I eat that one last time before we leave. I also am trying to make sure I say goodbye to the many people who have touched my life these past 3 years I have lived here but I know I am going to miss someone. I feel a big cry is deep inside me just waiting to come out and probably will any day now. I am so excited to go to Kenya but do indeed HATE goodbyes.

No comments: