A few weeks ago there was a outbreak of Cholera in Kenya, mostly in the Western part of Kenya and we live in the North Eastern. Here I think there was only one report of someone dying from it and we had the World Health Organization set up a tent just down the road (WHO) in order to treat anyone who had the symptoms. It becomes very obvious to me how cholera is spread so fast when I see the latrines overflowing and the living conditions that people are forced to "survive" in. So much prevention can be done with simple hygiene methods being done everyday, the main one just washing your hands after using the bathroom. I had to have a talk with our housegirl that she needs to be washing her hands with soap counting 20 seconds. I also realize that part of her culture she does not use toilet paper when using the bathroom which I cannot enforce but advice.
I got my hair braided in the village on a mat outside in the shade. I brought Nevaeh
along and soon we had a crowd surround us to watch- me "the muzungu" (white person) getting her hair done and this little white baby trying to scooch herself off the mat to play in the dirt. For 2 and a half hours my hair continues to get pulled while I tried to entertain Nevaeh at the same time. I really liked the results because my scalp was a few degrees cooler. It costed $5 and lasted almost 2 weeks so I will definitely get it done again.
We spent a weekend playing with the children of Zuwani village. They had never seen a stroller before so the children took turns pushing Nevaeh back and forth which Nevaeh loved. Whenever we go to villages I often see that I end up playing and learning from the children. The mommas of the village remain in their homes preparing for the daily meals and cleaning their homes. Jason is always doing a productive project- especially since receiving his chainsaw from the church in Michigan. On this weekend he trimm
ed all the dead branched off of this huge tree, maki
ng the area look so much nicer. Even after being here for 10 months I am always learning something more from the culture and realize I am not even close to being finished. I am
1 comment:
Hey Bekah [and Jason :)]!
I love seeing your pictures and reading your stories of life in Kenya. I remember how different it was as a woman trying to minister there, but it sounds like you are doing a great job Bekah. I am so proud to know you guys and pray for you.
we love you guys,
Naomi, Wayne, Sydney, and Baby Sept. '09
Post a Comment