Tuesday, April 14, 2009

To Western Kenya we go!

Actually it has been a week now since returning from western Kenya and I have so much to say about the drive there. First of all let me say it is a TWELVE HOUR DRIVE, now to put it into perspective even more, we drive on AFRICAN ROADS which I would use the word loosely in some parts because there is no tarmac but bumpy, dirt paths that are far from a straight way, and lastly I have to say WITH OUR TWO YOUNG KIDS. Hopefully you can get a little idea of what it was like but I will do my best to add more details. On the way there- Righteosu got out of her car seat on many occasions and would have to be firmly held by Brice, who was sitting in the way back with her, to prevent her head hitting the ceiling from the bumps. On the way back I have to give Righteous the reward for sitting in her car seat the entire time- only getting out the two times we stopped for potty breaks, she was the best kid ever that day! We saw so many things like Lake Nakuru which looks pinks from the distance from the many flamingos the reside there. I also kepts noticing the lush green scenery, which was very nice for a change considering we live in a semi-dessert area.
There were times where there was moments of silence when we passed by homes that were burnt from last years presidential violence. There are still people living in tents in the middle of rift valley because they have been displaced from there homes. Also we passed by a memorial in the woods where I man lit a match and thru it at a gas tanker because he didn't want to give the police 100 shillings. He killed over a hundred people and here on the Kenyan news they showed peoples flesh burning off of them bc here there is no censorship on the news programs.
I really enjoyed the fish we got to eat in Western since we were close to different lakes when we went to the town of Bogoma and Kisumu. Here in Kenya we are co-leading with a man named Harrison who is from the Luya tribe. he is from Western and took us to his home where we got to see His house, His parents house, and his brothers house all within a few feet away from each other. His parents graves were also just feet away from these houses and he showed us when he dies where his body will be buried. This is not the way all Kenyans do things but the way specifically the Luya trive does. It was a great trip to observe a different part of Kenya!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I recently came accross your blog and have been reading along. I thought I would leave my first comment. I dont know what to say except that I have enjoyed reading. Nice blog. I will keep visiting this blog very often.


Ann

http://racingonlinegames.net