The 16th of June marks the day of 1 year in Kenya. When we arrived in this country I was pregnant and anxious about delivering a baby in Africa, what would it be like, is it safe, will I have the same care as I would in the States? Everything went completely normal and God gave me such fast labor and delivery that I never actually made it to the delivery room to have Nevaeh. I had her in between two Kenyan women who were well into the laboring process before I arrived. (Nevaeh came out in 1 hour and 10 minutes from start to finish).
We were blessed to have a place to stay while we were waiting to have Nevaeh before moving to G-town. It helped us settle in and make a smooth transition into Nairobi city where there is differences in thr culture comparing to the US but relatively not as major as moving here where it is 98% muslim. When we were first arrived we had no vehicle, no beds, no home for our final destination and now we have all those things and more just one year later.
There is always uncertainity that comes as a parent. Jason and I have always had the call and strong desire to reach the people in Africa. We were willing to sacrifice the common necessities in life to follow the Lord's call. It is a different way of looking at things when kids are brought into the picture. Will they be able to adjust and fit in? Is okay that I am in a sense denying them access to playgrounds, grass, McDonalds, and relatives? My answer to all this is both children are completely content here. Righteous makes friends where ever we go. Nevaeh doesn't know life any other way than how it is here. Are they missing out on fast food luxeries and toys well sure they are but are they happy? Yes indeed.
"You can kiss your family and friends good-bye and put miles in between you, but at the same time you cary them with you in your heart, your mind, your stomach, because you do not just live in a world but a world lives in you. " Fredrick Buechner, Telling the Truth. The hardest part by far is not seeing family and loved ones and sharing in each others lives. We are so grateful for the letters and packages that have been sent and with each we get a piece of America and feel the love from those who sent them. ( we always could use garlic salt, ranch packets, taco seasoning packets, parmesan cheese, and italian spices
3 comments:
Hey! We will have to meet up when we are both in Nairobi! Let me know when you guys will be in town!
Wow Navaeh and Righteous look so much like their mama. How come you have such strong DNA? People never think Gabriel looks like me. Congratulations on being there a year! 2 more to go, right? You are not going to slip an extra one in are you?
Hi Rebekah and Jason,
How are you? Your blog is wonderful and the girls are adorable! I met a man who has an internet Christian radio station in Toronto and he was wondering if you both would be interested in being interviewed on the station? There are just about no Christian radio stations in Canada and he has a heart for that. When you have a moment would love to hear from you.
Love,
Dorothea
dorothea8@gmail.com
Post a Comment