Thursday, July 9, 2009

Mombassa, The Coast Part 1



I think it has now been 2 weeks since we have traveled to Mombassa and I realized I have never given any details to our fun-filled fully loaded trip. The Bethany Interns had to take the class Local Christianity, following their other 2 classes Local Islam and Local Religions. There was no better way to do this then head off to the coast where the first 2 churches of East Africa began. The picture above is actually the first church and is amazing to read about it getting started. I must say I don't have all the details because often times I was not able to keep up listening to the tour guide because I was following Righteous who was exploring on her own. In Mombassa we met a medical team from the US who were seeing to the needs of that area and it is always refreshing to see what God is doing using his people. Always I see this as an opportunity to encourage the fellow body of Christ as well as receive the blessing of their enthusiasm being in Africa for a short time.

We stayed in a beautiful cottage right on the beach. Even though most days we were out and about to learn the history of mombassa their were times when both my girls were sleeping and I was able to escape out into the Indian Ocean and just sit in awe of God. I have always said I feel closer to Him outside underneath the stars, or watching the breeze hit the trees etc. When there is no roof in the way it just seems God is right there with you even though I know He is also there when I am inside places.

We got to go to a wild life preserve around 4pm which is the animal feeding time. We saw crocodiles jump for steak and hippos walk out of the water to eat their food. I will try to find pics to show this. I enjoy sharing all these amazing moments with my children. Righteous and Nevaeh both cry whenever Jas leaves and is not able to take them with him. I was just reading Psalm 85 :12-13 and found it of interest since my first born is named Righteous "The Lord will indeed give what is good, and our land will yield its harvest. Righteousness goes before him and prepares the way for his steps." I know I have said it before but I am so proud of my children who are not afraid of the people here even though they look different from us. They are not afraid of sickness or the danger that can flair up because they are children and have do not worry about things. More and more I am learning from them and my faith increases because of how they live their lives.

















No comments: