Sunday, April 11, 2010

Wanting to unveil beauty

I am reading the book Captivating by John and Stasi Elderage and it is having me process a lot about being a women especially being a women in the culture that surrounds me. I know I written more than once that their is such a pull for me to want to demand my rights that I am an equal to a man. In America I never once had this threatened or questioned. Here I feel the strains of being the lower sex as soon as I leave my house and walk around town. Just last week Righteous and I went to town to buy things we needed for the house and of course an ice cream cone was bought because even though it was only 10am- it is always a good time to eat ice cream here. We proceeded to eat it outside on the steps of the shop which is a regular weekly event. A man came and sat Right next to Righteous eyeballing her eating and then noticed the had a toy car in her hand. He took her car and started to drive it on the steps as if he was a kid. Righteous was confused and told me "mommy can you get my car back?". In perfect Swahili (hey this is a big deal for me I don't know half as much a Jas) I requested the man to give us back the car. He refused and eventually walked away with it. Immediately I feel like a helpless women that cannot even protect my children because I am not respected or taken seriously. I often hear the Lord's gently voice reminding me "As a christian do you really have any rights?" In America I can appreciate the Declaration of Independence but still as a believer should I expect them or even demand them. I realize in America I do expect them and absolutely take them for granted.
In Captivating the beginning chapter explains " Every woman in her heart longs for 3 things: to be romanced, to play an implacable role in a great adventure, and to unveil beauty." As the authors go on to define and explain each of those three things I find myself in full agreeableness. For the last one I not only want this for myself but for my 2 soon to be 3 daughters. In another part of the book it says that young boys are always asking "Do I have what it takes" throughout their childhood and little girls are asking, "am I lovely". I have such a huge burden of prayer for my girls and the girls that are growing up in this culture that they will be affirmed in their beauty because God made them and takes delight in them. My desire is that my girls would stand out not only because they are white and it is pretty obvious to point them out in a crowd but because the mark of the Holy Spirit is on their lives. How can I help other women unveil their beauty when they are completely covered? I will start in prayer- that is the only for sure thing.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Wow, Becka. I miss you guys tons. Thanks for writing your thoughts and what God is teaching you in the area of beauty. I remember reading Captivating while on Internship there and it was very impacting. You guys are in my prayers and I sure hope to see you all soon.

Blessings,
Pearl