Wednesday, May 5, 2010

Chat over coffee

Everynow and then I have such a desire to brag, share, and even gather helpful insights about my kids. I have heard that it is pretty common to have "mommy n me" groups that churches and other places organize weekly get togethers. Mom's tell their stories and exchange advice and prayer for one another. When they can make play-dates, exchange recipes, and just be a source of encouragement. I am blessed to have another missionary wife/mother here that I can relate to but this past weekend we had to say goodbye to their family as they are going on furlough to South Africa for the next 9 months. Today I am having a day where I want to sit back and enjoy a tasty cup coffee with another mom and just share what's been going on in the family front. You are my audience.
I admire my children in so many ways. Whenever we go to a place they are only shy for the first few minutes and will stay by my side but after they have warmed up they want to go and be "helpful" in whatever someone else is busy doing. In these pictures we were at a guesthouse with the Bethany interns going through debriefing meetings. Righteous and Nevaeh found two men that were fixing all the chairs and decided to empty out all the nails from the box and hand each one to the men every few minutes. Here in Kenya almost every household, even if it is just one small room, has househelp. This is a lady who is hired to clean the home every day and usually for 20-30 dollars a month 6 days a week. When I go visiting my neighbors Righteous and Nevaeh will disappear and when I go to find them I can be sure they are with the house helper sweeping the floors or wiping chairs with a cloth. Missionary kids can easily fall into the dilema of being spoiled, where tanything they want is given to them and they aren't expected to clean up after themselves so I am blessed to say I do not have to fight that quite yet.
Nevaeh is going #1 and #2 in the potty everyday! She is the one that is informing me when she has to go and cheering herself on. I am so impressed with her because she is not even 2 and already getting the concept down. I have certain secrets that my kids always give away. I often bribe them to finish all their food on their plate at dinner time and then they will get a cookie or piece of chocolate. Yesterday we had a visitor over and she had finished her meal first and Righteous said "Mom what is she gonna get?" Secret is out! We laughed hard. Another funny question I have heard Righteous ask me is "Is you tummy thirsty?" I am guessing she has heard me say how thirsty I am at times and explain the baby in my tummy is hungry and combined the two. Nevaeh is very affectionate and loves to give everyone kisses and hugs. Righteous is just the opposite. I am glad they are different and the older one will be looking after the younger and be more cautious. We had a drun man approach us one day when we were in town and was insulted that Righteous did not want to hold his hand as we walked along. He was angrily saying to me "why is she being like that does she not like us Africans?" I replied no she has many Kenyan friends, you are a stranger and so she is not suppose to talk to strangers.
Nevaeh and Righteous have been talking about riding the horses with Melissa and Becky for weeks now. We got to have our goodbye party for the interns at this one park where they even did camel rides. I will have to have them ride that next time. I am amazed they in many ways they are fealess of things. What I wonder at times is if they are at the same levels as other children their age in America even though they are not experiencing the same things. There is no way that I can compare. When I start to think and even worry the Lord reminds me that He is in control and worrying does not accomplish anything. Well I need to go and get lunch together and then put my girls down for a nap but thank you for talking with me, I really had a good time. I hope we can do this again real soon!

3 comments:

Kaitlin said...

i love this. i will have internet coffee with you anytime and listen about your kids. they are so adorable!!

Anonymous said...

Bekah! I miss your family very much! I am so excited for the new little girl on the way! I am hoping to come up to Garissa maybe at the end of the month. Dan says I have to try and do a goodbye thing with you guys before the team comes, so I am sure that means I will be visiting soon. I am thinking about you and praying for you. Love you- Becky

Carole said...

I love reading about your kids, I already drank my coffee, but I felt like I got to hear some quality stories and get to know your family better. Do you go to my blog? You can read about us there. Love you!!