Tuesday, October 5, 2010

The Fair- African Style

Our fair happens once a year and is actually called The Show. Let me tell you it is a big deal. There is several acres called the Showgrounds that is specifically dedicated to this once a year event. All different banks, shops, and business from our area, set up displays. Many of their displays are in permanent structures and they get prizes for their creativity. One of the local schools got asked to have some of their crafts shown and would be competed with other schools for awards. They had to make paper dolls and the head teacher asked me for ideas. I immediately thought of one of Righteous toys and traced it and then asked Jason to cut out 30 on cardboard for this school. We went to the show and saw what the students did and are so happy that they won an award!

I was impressed with the variety of foods and things to buy. Righteous and Nevaeh both wanted loud whistles which they proceeded to blow the entire morning. Jason bought nyirinyiri which is camel meat that is chopped up into small pieces and dried in the sun and then fried in some oil. It is put into jars and i think you can eat it like tunafish in a can.
Camel skin that is dried and salted.

There were 2 Manyattas (huts that nomads can carry on a camels back to their next destination). Righteous and Nevaeh loved going inside and sitting on the bed- which is kingsize. I was surprised at how cool it is inside and how much it could store inside. Whenever I go places Charis is a big hit and often she gets taken from my arms and passed around from person to person. My prayer is that she will bring people joy.



Recently one of our wonderful former interns wrote a song taken from Ezekiel 37 and title the name Righteous Hope. Please check out the video of it on my facebook- it is very powerful. Each day i want to remember the words written in this passage as I walk around in this foreign land.

"Then he said to me: 'Son of man, these bones are the whole house of Israel. They say, "our bones are dried up and our hope is gone; we are cut off." Therefore prophesy and say to them: 'This is what the Sovereign Lord says: O my people, I am going to open your graves and bring you up from then; I will bring you back to the land of Israel. Then you, my people, will know that I am the Lord, when I open your graves and bring you up from them. I will put my Spirit in you and you will live, and I will settle you in your own land. Then you will know that I the Lord have spoken, and I have done it, declares the Lord.'

No comments: