Saturday, October 30, 2010

Hard Work!

The church/school project continues. This past week Jason has been supervising and assisiting the workers to lay down the cement on the roof. Almost everything that could have wrong as gone wrong. One day they ran our of water, one morning the workers refused to work unless they got paid first even though the agreement was when the job was completed. The cement mixer they were using broke down and after a new belt was bought it worked for awhile and then broke down cabisa! (non-fixable) DOing this job is entirely different then the doing it in the USA. For starters the cement has to be mixed with sand, water, gravel, and the cement powder with shovels (or the cement mixer when it is working). Now the most impressive part about getting the mixture on top of the roof is the man made gigantic steps. Two man stand on either side of these steps going all the way up to the top of the roof. Different men will shovel the cement mixture into wheel barrels and dump it out on the bottom of the steps. The two men will shovel it up to the next step. The next 2 men will shovel it up to the next step. And so on until it reaches the top- then there are men with wheel barrels on the top of the roof that will scoop up the mixture and transport it to the back of the building and dump it out. Then it is spread out and left to dry. These men start around 7am and end when the sun goes down. We are starting our summer here which means over 100 degress and men will work throughout the hottest times of the day. I cannot even imagine doing this!
Me and my kiddos have gone to visit Jason every day at the work site since he has to be there all day. Jason has the desire to portray Jesus's love to the workers. When they begun he was talking to me about what he could do to set him apart from others that supervise these jobs. Everyday he has tried to buy different food for the workers whether it be eggs with Kachubari (tomatoes, onions, and cilantro) bananaa, or mandazi (a donut- kenyan style). When I watch the men shoveling and pushing wheel barrels and just wonder if they find their life satisfying. When they are done for the day do they have families to go home to and a nice meal to enjoy. I notice that some are wearing shoes too small for them and clothes with many holes. I can't help but begin to feel sorry for them. Then I can hear the spirit reminding me that our lives on earth are only temporary and if we know Jesus are reward with Him eternally will be Amazing. I want these men to know and believe in our Savior.


Righteous and Nevaeh are not afraid to go up and talk to people. One of Righteous's first questions is to find out their names. Most of the time she will ask loudly "Mom what is his name?" instead of just asking herself. I bought these dresses for them in the market. They surprisingly keep you quite cool in the heat. Righty and Nevaeh both picked out their own patterns. Righteous picked out her material right away and with Nevaeh I kept asking "Do you like this one?" She would day no. This process was repeated several times until finally I told her to pick out herself. They put them on as soon as they were finished getting sewn.
This top photo is a view from on top. And the bottom is of my wonderful husband who is not afraid to get his hands (and whole body for that matter) dirty. Please pray for the safetly and good health for him as he is lifting heaving items and transferring them to and from his truck.

1 comment:

Naomi said...

mandazi!!! oh, you made me miss kenya! and I miss you guys as well! I'm so blessed to know you! We think of you often and wish we could see you. Keep up the good work and be blessed!