This is a beautiful sight to me it is a symbol the Father's faithfulness. Honestly there were days when I never thought I would see this stage complete many times when I asked the Father why did you tell me to manage this project its stressing me out! Pouring a second floor slab is really no joke. In America we order our concrete by the cubic yard and if you were to pour a second floor slab you would use a wonderful invention called a pump truck that pumps the concrete through a 4inch hose and you pour it very nicely and with minimal waste, labor, people etc.
Day 1 the laborers
Day 2 We didn't get the mixer fixed and we were unable to find another to rent. There are only about 4 in our town 3 were broken and the other belonged to someone who was not interested in helping us at all for spiritual reasons. But the show must go on so we mixed it by hand and worked hard. We were moving at a good pace and then the water stopped running around 3 in the afternoon. Obviously we can't mix concrete without water. So we cleaned up and decided
Day 3 The laborers were tired and renegotiated the terms of the agreement but it took us 2 hours. We cleared it up and continued working until dark. This was Saturday so we would break until Monday and come back and do it again.
Day 4 Sunday
Day 5 We were able to work the whole day it was the first day we worked with no complications but we were still unable to finish.
Day 6 Finally we finished by 2 in the afternoon and that my friends is a beautiful sight. It is a sign of the Father's faithfulness He who starts a good work will complete it.
I made so many good friendships with these guys over the course of these 5 days I hope I was able to smash the stereotype that white people don't know how to work. Honestly there is no way I could keep up with some of them but I can still hold my own at least.( even at 30) I really enjoyed getting to know these guys and joke with them we worked hard but we had a lot of fun too. The Father has amazing ways of encouraging you when you need it. He used this situation to build my faith He usually does things that way for me. I can't wait to see what He does next!
Here are a few fun facts for ya- We were 25 guys working.
We mixed over 200 bags of cement by hand
Moved over 80 tons of ballast or gravel (several times actually) with wheel barrows
Moved over 40 tons o sand( several times)with wheel barrows
2 comments:
This is so exciting! Thanks for sharing the good news and great pictures.
I remember getting told all the time, "everything is pole, pole in africa." have you been able to adjust to the 'pole' or has the mzungu in you just too strong?
the school is looking wonderful, you must be soo proud.
Way to show the love of Christ!
Post a Comment