
I have gotten to work with Operation Christmas Child (Samaritan's Purse) my senior year of college. I was one of the many managers that had to supervise the teams of youth groups or adults that volunteered to check each shoebox. They were to remove all perishable items and make sure that the box was filled enough. The year I was there McDonald's had donated their happy meal toys so any box that didn't have enough inside we would fill it with that.

It was such a privilege to be on this end and see the excitement of the children receiving the boxes. A few children got letter and are in the process of writing back letters to the family that put it together for them. You could tell that these were some of the kids first toys because they didn't realize you could remove the outer plastic from the toys. Righteous helped explain how to use the items inside the boxes and did not even fuss once about not getting a box herself.

There was lunch provided for the children but they did not even want to eat. They could not wait to go home and show off what they got. One of the favorite toys was the Mr. Potato head. There was a squeal of delight after each face piece was put on. Some boxes had lots of candy and some had none so you would see them share their goodies with those who did not get any.These kids felt loved, and cared for and deserve to know that they are. I hope that we can arrange to do this again next year.


3 comments:
Aw! That is amazing! Thanks for posting!
Oh I love this! How fun. :) (and I love that hiyo watoto wabeba parcel wake kama mama wao. Ni cute sana sana!)
Love it!
Post a Comment