Wednesday, April 13, 2011
Getting the mindset for USA
This past month we have been preparing the Bethany interns to return to the USA. It is really important to bring closure to the different relationships that were made with people as well as projects they were apart of. If this not done with the people in Kenya, they can feel very hurt and will continue to ask why they didn't say goodbye. It is also crucial for the Bethany students to find the closure in their hearts to this particular season so that they can be ready for what God has for them next. Even if they were to return to G-town it will be completely different, first of all they will no longer be students. We were able to attend a few of their goodbye parties. It was good to hear the positive responses such as, "Thank you for having the Interns respect for Muslim culture by wearing skirts to the ankles and living modest lifestyles." I really thank God for allowing us to be in the location we are at.
We have been having debriefing session where we are talking about the re-entry part of going to America. A general saying is those that had a great internship where they were really involved and gained a love for those they were living with will have a really tough time going back to America. This was the case for Jason when we came back in 2004. It has been good to process with them because it helps me also prepare for what we will be facing too. We have asked the students What was their best and worse experience as well as What God has taught them throughout there time here. This is so that they can already have stories on hand when they get asked. I remember people coming and asking me "So how was Africa" or "How was your trip" and these questions totally freaked me out because 1) I was in Africa it is a continent and I can only really answer about my town in the country of Kenya and 2) How do you answer your 9 month experience within just a few sentences. A "Good" or "Challenging" is not really sufficient.
We have been here for just about 3 years and in many ways this has become so normal for us. I think there will be many things that will shock us when we are in America. I am so excited to see my family and our loved ones. My sister and Jason's brother both have had children we have never met and we have two daughters who have never met their relatives. I do not have any expectations but am just going to try and soak up and treasure the moments I have when I am there. Four and a half months are going to fly by. I ask that you will be thinking and praying for our family as we travel this Sunday night. I want to continue to blog while we are on furlough so keep checking to read about our experience.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
Thanks for posting the pictures - so fun to see faces I recognize. We'll be praying for everyone's re-entry and for safety in travel.
Post a Comment