Monday, September 30, 2013

Reflections

When I think back over the past 14 days it seems to have been an eternity and a roller coaster of feelings and emotions.  Many of you have seen the news and know about the Westgate tragedy that took place here in Nairobi, Kenya from Sept 21 to Sept 23rd.  Armed assailants entered into Nairobi's most crowded shopping malls with grenades and heavy weapons. At least 67 innocent people lost their lives and many others are still missing. The nation came to a stand still for 4 days all we could do was search the news stations and internet to find out more details.

Your immediate thoughts go to thinking we could have been there that is a mall we have been in so many times over our time living in Kenya.  It would not be unusual for us to be there in a Saturday as a family. you immediately think what would you have done how would you have reacted... Then your mind switches to thinking do you know anyone there that has been affected. Chances are you can't go to any mall in Nairobi on a Saturday without seeing someone you know. So you see these are just a few of the emotions you begin to process and so much of me wants to hide behind that these are just the natural reactions to these types of crisis. But it still feels so selfish because in the end it is still about me or how I can make it about me.  I want to be deeply grieved for the lives of each of these people as if I knew them personally or was related to them. I knew all of them they were created in His image they were His handy work and He loves them just as much as He loves me and so His heart is grieved so mine is also.

Then as people who say we love Him we have to go a step further we are commanded to..... The men who carried out these attacks did so in the name of Islam.  Giving the rest of the world more fuel to stereotype Muslims, millions of people they don't know. I have worked with and met thousands of Muslims in the last 5 years we have served here. One of the biggest heroes in this tragedy is a Muslim civilian man who evacuated people from the mall with only his pistol to protect them! The good have far out numbered the bad(and even the bad I have met have never been anything like this) they have loved me and taken me in as one of their own. Fed me, worried about me, prayed for me, and done more than some people who call themselves my brothers.....  I grieve for the people who died in the Westgate tragedy the "innocent" and the "guilty".  And so does the Lord He does not rejoice in the deaths of His creation He mourns and so should I.  

Church what it comes down to is Muslims are not the enemy, Islam is not the enemy.  The enemy is the enemy period.  It's not people, it's not religion, its evil and it exists everywhere in every country and every culture. Yes it manifests differently but it is still there! The world is a jacked up place and it will be until Jesus comes back and even then things are gonna be a little crazy sometimes according to Revelation! But God is still sovereign He is still in control!

So in light of these events as a family we are well we are blessed. We decided to stay in Nairobi until this situation was more resolved and we had more answers to make more wise decisions.  I know it does not sound practical to stay where the events occurred but Nairobi is a huge city so it's easy enough to stay low key.  We will finally return home tomorrow! We are very excited to be in our own home again and so are the girls!  We will be home for a short time and then return to Nairobi for our team retreat later in October and we will also continue to evaluate our security situation.  We trust the Father but we also do our homework too!  I know that many people who read this do not agree or understand why we do the things we do. I pray that God will give you all the peace He gives us to Step out upon the Waters in Oceans deep where feet may fail.  Grace and Peace!


                                                      Love you guys!

                                                                 Jason

1 comment:

Renee Stocks said...

The safest place on earth is the center of God's will, and I am completely convinced that you are in His will. I stand firmly with you in prayer as you move forward in actively loving those God has placed on your hearts. The place your family calls home is not a place anyone would be drawn to if not for the Holy Spirit's leading. Living for personal safety and comfort suffocates our faith, reducing it to smoking embers. May you each burn white-hot for God, I ask in the name of Jesus Christ.