 |
| Showing off the seeds. |
It has been a busy time of harvesting the maize at the farm. The stalks were many and large. We have eaten githari several times now (maize and beans mixed together) and grilled the maize and eaten it with lemon and butter. Jason would come home with stories each day about selling the produce around town. There were people that would comment on how nice and fresh it was and eagerly pay the price that was asked for. There were others that really complained about the price, size, the kernels being to hard etc. I guess that is just the way of people. Everyone is different and some just will always find something to complain about. Towards the end of the harvest there were smaller pieces of maize and in order to sell them, a deal of buy 3 get 1 free was made. That seemed to work well and many people came to buy. This has been a month with the highest profit- which means it is getting closer to being self-sustainable.
Now the harvest time is over and it is time to replant. The struggles of pests will come again. The fight for pollination and enough water will become the daily routine for months. Plants will flower and yet lose their flower and the plant will die. You always have to be on the look out for the caterpillar or the termites that come to eat and destroy. The sun is getting hotter now because the windy season has come to an end. Hotter can not only make the sunburn on the skin greater but can dry out the plants faster. Despite so much against the odds there is life. There is growth in the farm. The harvest will come again!
I read today about Jesus telling His Disciples about the Spiritual Harvest in John 4: 34-38.
Jesus explained: "My nourishment comes from doing the will of God who sent me, and from finishing His work. You know the saying 'Four months between planting and harvest'. But I say, wake up and look around. The fields are already ripe for harvest. The harvesters are paid good wages, and the fruit they harvest is people brought to eternal life. What joy awaits both the planter and the harvest alike! You know the saying, 'One plants and another harvests.' And it's true. I sent you to harvest where you didn't plant; others have already done the work, and now you will get to gather the harvest."
I also read 1 Corinthians 3: 6-9 Paul is writing "I planted the seed in your hearts, And Apollos watered it, but
it was God who made it grow. It's not important who does the planting, or who does the watering.
What's important is that God makes the seed grow. The one who plants and the one who waters work together with the same purpose. And both will be rewarded for their own hard work. For we are both God's workers. And you are God's field. You are God's building."
 |
| Getting the soil ready. |
 |
| Planting the seeds. |
 |
| Maize from the farm. |
 |
| Githeri with the maize. |
 |
| Righteous walking around another local farm. |
 |
| Our friend Alex (Amos' youngest brother) picking skuma. |
 |
| If you look really closily their is a green pepper on the plant from another local farm, |
1 comment:
can't say I miss githeri or sukumawiki, but I DO miss you guys!
Bekah, I only recently saw a post you did on my blog from way back earlier in the year. You are such an encourager. I miss you so much and think of you often, but I am a terrible communicator. Planning on fixing that soon. :)
God bless!
NAomi
Post a Comment