Saturday, March 21, 2015

A change in scenery

 A little over a week ago we were at the Kelly's home in Nairobi. In the last blog post Jason shared his frustrations with the new water pump. For the past few months he has been thinking of ways to make it work non-stop, even dreaming about it. All that being said it was refreshing to have a change of scenery, by going to Nairobi. We ate at a Chinese restaurant as a family (such a treat for us!) went on a date, went on a double date, got to wear sweaters and pants, and some of us got a chance to help out with the P4A (publish for all). Jason and Righteous really enjoyed folding, cutting, and boxing the 5,000 order of books. Nevaeh watched and eventually joined in to help too. This is such a different work than farm life and it was a nice break. I asked Jason twice if he was thinking about the pump at all and both times he answered nope.

I know that in my own life I can get so consumed in my own responsibilities of teaching, disciplining, and cleaning up that I also need to take a step back and stop what I am doing. I will get some ice and and a lemon for my cup of water and sit outside on our veranda. The girls come out to explore the compound and the older two ride their bikes. Easily all of us can be content on being outside for over an hour. Sometimes I will bring a book, Sometimes, I am crocheting and sometimes I am just sitting. I use to feel guilty, because I should be doing something else. I have a list in my head on what needs to be done and if I am neglecting them I am not using my time wisely. No one holds me to this criteria, I put the pressure on myself. I love remembering that Jesus got away from teaching the mass crowds and went to a place to be alone. Even He wasn't on the go every second of everyday. He needed to find rest from the Father. To find rest I have to stop moving and doing, and be quiet and listen.

Matthew 14:13 "As soon as Jesus heard the news, he left in a boat to a remote area to be alone."

Matthew 14: 22-23 "Immediately after this, Jesus insisted that his disciples get back into the boat and cross to the other side of the lake, while he sent the people home. After sending them home, he went up into the hills by himself to pray. Night fell while he was there alone."


Edward and Josiah hard at work.

I believe there I counted 8 printers making books.

I finally got a chance to meet Kendra who is interning here for 6 months and going back and forth to other countries to install P4A machines. She is hiding on the floor in this picture.

My hubby using the cutter.

Nevaeh looking on.

The trophy watermelon from the farm.

Bike repairs. Bikes here get so many punctures from the thorny mathenge bushes.

Nevaeh riding with the African sky in the background.

My favorite picture of Righteous riding.

Our dogs killed this lizard with the orange head and turquoise body.

Close up look at the dead lizard.

1 comment:

Renee Stocks said...

You are so wise to choose to be still. XO