Tuesday, April 7, 2015

Our Easter

Resurrection scene with zombie dice is the pic

    Hi friends and family first things first many of you may have heard there was a very violent attack in our home town.  It was a very sad day when almost 150 university students lost their lives for simply not being Muslims.   But it just goes to reiterate the depravity of man. Any of us with out Jesus as our Lord and Savior are capable of the same things.  In any sense we have not been afraid the event however very tragic was very well contained by the Kenyan security forces which is a vast improvements compared to other situations.I am encouraged to see the way the Kenyan government and even more so the Somali Muslim population is  responding in a very positive and professional light.  Even locals in our community have pledged to investigate and give a full report on the people possibly responsible.  So please continue to pray for favor, wisdom and discernment for us as a family.

laying the cow on the side to get ready.

The way every animal is slaughtered here is by slicing it around the neck and letting it bleed out.

All the kids watch on. They learned where all the organs were inside.
Changing gears a bit the way we spent our Easter Sunday. The Lord had laid a burden on my heart to be together with "our people"  the community we work among here consists of at least 4 un-reached people groups.  Previously we had done many different outreaches during the Christmas seasons but I felt a strong leading from the Lord to make this Easter  season stand out as much as possible.

 With that I felt we should slaughter a cow T-Bone (RIP) specifically took the fall to feed us and the village.  It says a lot in this community when you slaughter a highly valuable animal. T-bone could have fetched 400 to 500 dollars at his current size in the going market.  But feeding the community and bringing us that much closer to them is far more valuable.
Easily I can tell you at times I lose sight on the real goal of reaching people and become absorbed into the sustainable aspect.  It is a much more concrete number or goal to deal with. But God has very different ideas in mind and we have to be open to His leading.

    So I felt He lead me to ask several people to be involved on Easter Sunday in our place with a service a party where we made feast for ourselves and the community.  In the end we hope and pray we continue to build favor and move forward in the community.   Today I took a villager to the hospital on my way home I went out of my way a little to ensure they made it safely. They were so grateful and also  many of them thanked me for Sunday they had such a great day.  I just told them to thank God because it was only because of Him I was able to do anything!

     During the celebration on Sunday I felt a Big boost I watched as guys I have invested in and worked alongside did things that go outside of the roles of their tribes and their customs allow.  Maybe it was simply because they we uncomfortable with me serving and working too hard as their boss. I do not really care why I was blessed beyond measure seeing some people put many others before themselves even women and children. Which may sound normal for westerners but  here its far beyond normal.
Jason bringing the "sufaria" to place the cut up meat.
God's goodness and sovereignty is complete ...... think about it...... we cannot mess up His plans but.... we can join Him at work!  God help us to follow You where You would have us go.  Let us forsake all and abandon all to follow You and see our serving you as a true privilege !

Jesus use these situations and these tragedies to draw people to your loving character. Let all people see the beauty of who You are and what You promise. Let the beauty of the Lord be declared through this! Somehow make beauty of ashes as only You can do!
One of the other cows came to take a peek, 'Where did my friend go?"

The front bulge is the stomach which was cooked as a soup for everyone to enjoy... except for me, 

All food is cooked over firewood.

Here is the stomach called matumbo.

Our good friend who is the day guard. Righty took his picture of him holding up the leg.

Here he is with his bag of treasures to boil down and make a nice stew.

We all worked together to chop up all the veggies.

Hi Josephine!

Nevaeh is pounding the garlic.

I was taught how to properly pull apart the green leaves from our farm and was teaching Samara.

Mama Junior is so fast at chopping the green leaves in her hand that she doesnt even have to look while she is doing it.

Healthy goodness from our farm. Kunde mixed with Michicha Or Amaranth.

4 comments:

Jubilee Christian Church Garissa said...

Glad to have been a part of this! God bless you!

Renee Stocks said...

So incredibly cool in every way! Praying for you & your community. XO

Renee Stocks said...

So incredibly cool in every way! Praying for you & your community. XO

Renee Stocks said...

So incredibly cool in every way! Praying for you & your community. XO