Sunday, March 15, 2015

Installing the Pump...... or trying to install the pump

Things here almost never go as planned...... We have a saying in Kenya "Nothing is for sure until its history... and then history can still sometimes be changed."  That was of course the case for the installation of the water pump.
       Usually I am the type of guy who can and likes to figure things out on his own.  In this case because I wanted to be responsible I involved professional companies and plumbers to assist with the installation. I didn't want to risk making any bad choices that resulted in wasted donor funds.  So I used a reputable company here to order the pump and engine with a one year warranty.
I also used a service provider (contracted plumber) recommended by the said company.  Off to work we went.
For a week we struggled to get all the fittings in order and weld the house around the machine.  6 days later we were ready for testing.  It failed miserably the pump would not prime(it wouldn't suck water) The plumber then concluded that the pump was too far away from the water source.  So he had traveled to Gtown to do this job, and I couldn't ask him to stay around while I moved the pump house closer. After  7 frustrating days I paid the plumber and sent him packing I would just figure it out from here. Its what I wanted to do in the first place.... right.  After some time of thinking, praying, reflecting, and even being rebuked by a brother. I realized I was too worried about the pump it was consuming my thoughts. It wasn't about God's kingdom it was about me winning, me getting that pump to work. Doing it well so people could see how great of a job I did.

I am in no way proud of that but it remains to be the truth.  I have never been one to hide my flaws and I hope that doesn't change I enjoy the transparency. I like knowing you all are aware of them it helps keep me humble. I need that so thank you !
    So I embarked on this journey without professional help .. although I may need it I tried and it didn't work!  I moved the house for the pump forward 6 meters eliminating one full length of pipe completely.  Upon dismantling the pipe I found something very interesting!
When I removed the length of pipe I found and plastic water bottle inside of the suction pipe which effectively makes it impossible to suck water or prime through that pipe.  SO upon finding that we thought maybe we had found the problem.  We moved it forward and reconnected the suction pipe.  After that we found that the problem was indeed a two part problem. We had used a flexible fabric reinforced fabric hose at a certain point in order to deal with the the rise and fall  of the river. We thought that a flexible hose would be wise but..... it turns out the hose cannot handle the vacuum of the pump so it collapses and reduces the suction by  by 2/3 .
Which of course is not the best..... obviously!  So there were several problems the water bottle problem number one the hose not being strong enough to handle the vacuum number two and possible the distance being problem being number three.. we will never really know.  In any sense I have converted all the suction over to a rigid PVC pipe but I have still not managed to get the pump to work.  I know very depressing right..... but at least when I  met with a senior official the renowned company in Kenya they also informed me I had done everything I could do to succeed.
At least it wasn't my fault right? I have to admit it did bring me a little relief I was comforted to know I did what I could.  But it is what it is right?  God is God, He is still in control water pump or no water pump He is good! All of this to say it will all be OK. Because He is good ! I promise to let you all know when we succeed until then keep on praying for us!

2 comments:

Renee Stocks said...

Oh, God, I thank you that you care more about what's being developed in us than you care about earthly success. Thank you for the beauty of Jason's spirit, & may he radiate your joy & peace, I ask in Jesus' name.

Renee Stocks said...

Oh, God, I thank you that you care more about what's being developed in us than you care about earthly success. Thank you for the beauty of Jason's spirit, & may he radiate your joy & peace, I ask in Jesus' name.