Saturday, February 27, 2016

Our grocery store.

In one of the aisles.
 Many months ago I put pictures up from when we went to a grocery store in Nairobi. I am finally putting a few pictures up of the grocery store we go to in our town. It is so much more than a place we go to to buy our household items. It is a place where we have built friendships and those friendships continue to grow. Whenever we enter the doors we are greeted so warmly. They care for us and the well being of our family. In the past- when there was insecurity in our town and attacks, they would always call us with news to stay home when things were bad.  Every year at the end of December- they will wish us a Merry Christmas- which is so special- it leaves me speechless- and I want to say Merry Christmas right back but know they don't celebrate, so I never know the right words to say. There have been times one of my girls have needed me to hold them and one of the workers will follow me around holding a basket with everything I am picking up to purchase. We have come during times they are eating lunch- we are immediately invited to take part. Jason and the girls dive right in eating with them. The owner's wife is pregnant right now. She is a hairdresser and is often the one to make sure the bride is looking beautiful at the Arab weddings here. This will be the owner's 10th child.

I write all this because it is something I appreciate so much in this people oriented culture. Originally when I would shop, my mind is thinking of what I need so that I can get in and out as fast as I can. Now is so completely different. Catching up with people's lives is first on the priority list and secondly comes buying what I need. I have made the mistakes at time of asking a question right away- instead of saying a greeting. Graciously my question is ignored for a moment and I hear "Habari yako? Habari ya watoto wako?" How are you? How are your children? It is an instant reminder of what is the most important thing in life. Not the tasks I am doing but the people God has made. We usually go to the grocery store several times a week. Each time is an opportunity to shine a light in the darkness and be an Ambassador for Christ.
It is restocking day and the workers are busy emptying out boxes and trying to bring organization.

Umena= dried fish. My friend Joyce has cooked it for us before- quite tasty.

There is always dates around but during Ramadan the store is packed with them.

The local toothbrush.

Our items are getting rung up at the register. Every sing time my girls get a free candy.

1 comment:

Renee Stocks said...

Your words are such an admonishment to me, and make me realize afresh how focused I am on accomplishing my agenda, not God's. Thank you for spurring me on. XO