Friday, September 22, 2017

Elijah's showdown (But ultimately God’s)

 In 1 Kings 18 Elijah has a challenge with 450 prophets of Baal. Elijah said to them,
"I am the only one of the Lord's prophets left but Baal has four hundred and fifty prophets. Get two bulls for us. Let them choose one for themselves, and let them cut it into pieces and pour it on the wood but not set fire to it. I will prepare the other bull and put it on the wood but not set fire to it. Then you call on the name of your God, and I will call on the name of the Lord. The God who answers by fire-he is God."
The prophets of Baal went first. For hours they called on the name of their God. Elijah eventually starts taunting them.

"Surely he is a God! Shout louder! Perhaps he is deep in thought, or busy, or traveling. Maybe he is sleeping and must be awakened. "

This part always cracks me up. We get to see the sacasm of Elijah. He has a distinct sense of humor that sets him apart from other prophets we read about in the Bible. God can use all our different personalities to proclaim His goodness and His power.
So eventually it was Elijah's turn. He had 12 jars of water poured out on the offering, wood, and it also filled the trench around the altar. Then he prayed,

"O Lord, God of Abraham, Isaac, and Israel, let it be known today that you are God in Israel and that I am your servant and have done all these things at your command. Answer me, O Lord, anewer me, so these people will know that you, O Lord, are turning their hearts back again. "

"Then the fire of the Lord fell and burned up the sacrifice, the wood, the stones and the soil, and also liked up the water in the trench."

On this day God displayed His power through fire. In the very next chapter I am so surprised by Elijah. He seems to be wallowing away in depression. He is afraid.
"I have had enough, Lord," He said. "Take my life; I am no better than my ancestors. " Then he lay down and fell asleep.

Elijah how fast you have forgotten the Majesty and Might of the Lord! But am I also quick to Forget?

God passes by Elijah. But not in the powerful wind that shatters rocks. Not in an earthquake. Not in the fire. The Lord passed by in a gentle Whisper. My friend Grace pointed out that we often look for God to answer us in the same exact way He has in the past. God had answered  Elijah by fire. The next time He answered Elijah was a gentle Whisper. I don't want to be depending on God to reveal Himself in the big obvious miracles that I miss what He has for me for right now.
Elijah talking to King Ahab.

Translation. 

My brother helped. What a gift he is to me.


Singing "I'm in the Lord's army"


Gluing the fire on the altar.



1 comment:

Renee Stocks said...

Daddy, Open these hearts & minds to recive Your Truth & gift of peace. Plant Your church among them, & use them to bring others into a love-relationship with You. Encourage those who bring Your message. Speak through them, & be made visible through them, I ask in the Name of Jesus Christ.