Monday, September 25, 2017

Sunday picnic

The lady farm worker.
 Here in gtown 80% of my time is spent simply living. Such living includes homeschooling my girls, going to town to buy fresh vegetables because they spoil incredibly fast in the heat, taking dresses/skirts to the seamstress to be fixed that have been torn by thorns, going to the wholesale shop for bulk items of toilet paper/oil/rice, sifting though the unorganized books of the library (it reminds me of searching in a thrift store for treasures), and then last but not least there are many hours that go into cooking and baking from scratch. When I go from shop to shop I have an opportunity to build relationships in every single one because I have to go so often. This past Sunday, one of these store owners we have become friends with,  organized for us to have a picnic at the farm to welcome the interns that have come. They provided the plates, cups, drinks, tables, a big pot of chicken and rice and goat curry. Jason roasted 3 goats, and our Family from the east provided Kung Pao Chicken and Egg+tomato(one of my favorites from them). We played games and talked. Jason played some worship music on his guitar. Some walked down to the river and saw hippos and crocodiles. It was a day to see a glimpse of heaven. We had 55 people gathered together from 2 different religions and 5 different ethnicities. As I looked around at everyone smiling and eating, I thought, this is what is all about. Because of my 80% of just doing the normal things I need to do, the 20% occasionally happens-the part of loving my neighbor with the unconditional love that Jesus has to offer.
Cleaning out the goats well to get ready to be cooked.

Farm workers preparing the goat stomach and innards to be cooked.


Chairs and mats for people to sit on.

Samosa as an appetizer before the big meal.

Lots of spicy condiments.

Night guard.

Phase 10 card game.



I adore Jason's face in this picture. 

Papaya picked right from the trees at the farm. 

Sitting around while the food is cooking.


Dishing out the meal.


Chai after the big meal is a must.



My man is the master of the grill.
I still have 1 more month with my brother!

1 comment:

Renee Stocks said...

Your example of building relationship wherever your day takes you has helped me tremendously whether I am in Kenya or at home. The amount of work day-to-day life in Kenya requires, even WITH househelp, is a challenge to embrace good-naturedly. You model this with beautiful graciousness, Bekah. XO