Wednesday, January 3, 2018

Quotes and reflections.

On our walk from the pump by the river to the farm someone had abandoned their water bucket. I wanted to check out first hand how it worked. Don't worry I didn't take it far so that it's owner could easily come back for it.
 As I roll someone's water bucket into the new year I love reading different quotes.

"Each new year we have before us a brand new book containing 365 blank pages. Let's fill them with words we forgot to say, love we forgot to show, and charity we forgot to offer." Peggy Toney Horton

"The object of a New Year is not that we should have a new year. It is that we should have a new soul and a new nose; new feet, a new back bone, new ears, and new eyes". G.K. Chesterton

"We spend January 1st walking through our lives, room by room, drawing up a list of work to be done, cracks to be patched. Maybe this year, to balance the list, we ought to walk through the rooms of our lives....not looking for flaws, but potential. " Ellen Goodman
 My girls made necklaces today sent by friends in South Africa. It started as just a string with a sharp needle at the end. Every girl had her finger pricked several time but with each separate bead that was added to the string more beauty is seen until the project was completed. Such is life. One day at a time to add to what God has given. I cannot see the whole picture but I know He is good and Faithful to complete what He has started.
 "Whatever your hand finds to do, do it with all your might" Ecclesiastes 9:10

The polar bear craft was done by all. At the end of the day it was forgotten when the brand new presents were opened. But it was not wasted because I saw two polar bear pictures being used as a scare crow in the farm a few days later.
 I look back to 1 year ago to see all that the Lord has done.  A year ago God brought a team from the far East for 1 night on a survey trip. God had given them several visions to move to Kenya. They invited our family to China and completely provided all the finacial cost for all six of us to travel there in March 2017. Presently we are working together as a multi cultural team. We learn about each other and from each other everyday.

A year ago one of the farm workers had lost his wife, mother to 5 children, to a crocodile on Christmas Eve. The entire community came together to search for her body at the river. Presently he is re married and we got to meet his new wife on the 25th.  For the first time we celebrated Christmas day at the farm which included crafts, songs, dances, games, a big meal, gift distribution and finally an explanation of why we celebrate Christmas. All of the farm workers were there with their families which means 43 children! We have lived here for nearly10 years and this celebration is what it is all about. It is the opportunity we have been waiting for an praying for. With all the time that is put in to build a trustworthy friendship you are always longing to share about the greatest gift of all. Jason was able to share it that day.

As I look ahead, I want to abide by the quotes of the wise King Solomon.  He "pondered and searched out and set out many proverbs " 12:9

"Now all has been heard; here is the conclusion of the matter:
Fear God and keep His commandments, for this whole duty of man. For God will bring every deed into judgement,  including every hidden thing, whether it is good or evil." 12:13-14

I do not have to fear people or sickness or the future, but to Fear God. I will not have to answer for anyone but myself. Oh Lord I want to follow you and walk in your ways, to please you and not worry about pleasing others. One day at a time all for your glory.

A dance from one of the far East families.

The most popular game.

The farm workers won the tug of war.

The girls got a new dress and a doll for a gift and the boys got a ball and a new shirt. 

Jason sharing about the greatest gift of all. 

We ended the year playing Watch your Mouth game with the interns. I am excited to have 12 more months with them! 

1 comment:

Renee Stocks said...

Thank you for this beautiful post. I pray regularly for your protection, asking God to open doors for you to be able to tell about the path to peace with Him. Experiencing your Christmas Farm celebration thru your post brought tears to my eyes. XO.