Sunday, March 24, 2024

Independence for our girls

You see this big sign as you drive into Gtown- which announces, it's Ramadan time. 

Jason traveled out of the country this past week (with Dan Germo to Ethiopia). Whenever Jason leaves for a few nights I like to take the Witt girls out to get milkshakes, icecream and Boba tea( can you believe we can find Boba tea in Gtown?!?!). Most restaurants are closed during the day since Muslims are fasting from sun rise until the sun sets for the 30 days of Ramadan. We arranged ourselves to go get these goodies later on in the day. We also went fabric shopping in town while Jason was gone. One of the Muslim shop owners we bought fabric from saw we were sweating, because it is the hottest time of year, and bought us cold waters, a bottle for each of us. This really humbled me, knowing he is fasting and was so considerate to us to who are not. We also bought fabric from a Somali lady who invited us to fast along with her, and become Muslims. I told her no, we love Muslims, and respect Muslims but we are not Muslims. Next, She straight out asks me if I believe Jesus is the Son of God, which I said, "yes because my Holy Bible, God's word, confirms this to be true." She said she knows that's what Christians believe but she herself believes Jesus was only a prophet. She then began to explain to me how special Ramadan is because it's the one time of the year the rich and poor both feel the same hunger pains and can actually relate to one another. I told her I thought this aspect was indeed special to give up drinking and eating in order to focus on God. She told me during these 30 days all her sins will be forgiven and she seemed overjoyed about this. She genuinely was passionate about her faith and not afraid to talk about it. She absolutely challenged me to be the same way- with even more determination because I truly believe Jesus's sacrafice is the only payment for our sins to be forgiven. Our family is praying that Muslims around the world would have encounters with Jesus as they are dedicated to this fasting month. As we parted ways with this lady I look forward to more conversations with her down the road.

When we were in the USA last year we had all our daughters go talk to a Christian counselor about what it's like for them growing up as missionary kids. The counselor was able to give Jason and I her assessment after meeting with each of them. We realized we needed to make some changes so that our daughters could begin to have independence,  especially our oldest 2. We have so many ways we can do ministry as a family, which is fantastic, but our daughters are growing up so fast and will start leaving us soon. It's crucial that they are equipped to "stand on their own two feet". Jason and I began to pray and ask God to help us figure out how to provide them safe secure places to be independent from us. Righteous has been interested in makeup and discovered there are Arabs in town who teach make-up classes. She started taking classes with them once or twice a week and even purchased a make up kit to use as she practices her skills. This has been a delight to me and her sisters who are always volunteering for her to do our make-up. I have to say the style is definitely geared towards an Arab/Somalis which means- dramatic and glamorous. Bold and intense. Very fitting to the culture here.

Nevaeh has such a fun and enthusiastic personality which attracts children to her. She has expressed a desire to go to a local schools and hang out with students. She has gotten to go 3 times with the interns, these past 3 weeks. Two of these times she boarded a matatu (public transportation)- without me or her Dad being the ones to go with her and I give a praise to God for providing this outlet for her. Nevaeh also loves helping on clinic days at the farm. We are planning to have her go on future Thursdays to serve.

This past week Paul and Ashley invited our girls to their house to start typing lessons. This is another way God answered our prayer for our daughters to find opportunities separate from us as their parents. 

All this to say we have a God who cares. He is the creator and high above all other God's but at the same time, He isn't distant. Each day I want to invite Him to to be with me as I go about my day. Invite Him to help me with my decisions, invite Him into my conversations, invite Him to show me how I can be a godly wife first and godly mother second. As I teach homeschool I want it to be an act of worship unto the Lord. As I meet people in town I want my words and actions be a reflection of Him rescuing me out of sin and darkness. I have an endless amount of reasons to be thankful to God. I am thankful for our Home "overseas" and a family to share life with. I am thankful for He opening doors for our daughters. I am thankful that He has a plan for this year and the next. 

Righteous make-up teacher- at the Salon.

This is how Righteous starts off her eyebrows.

The make-up kit.

Righteous did my make-up 

Righteous did Nevaehs make-up 

Nevaeh at one school. 

Nevaeh at a different school. 

 

Charis developing her typing skills. 

Nevaeh trying to get faster. 

Paul instructing Samara and Righteous on the right.

1 comment:

Renee Stocks said...

I so resonate with the desire you expressed to invite God to to be with you daily, etc. And, I am so glad you have some insight into what is beneficial for your daugters & are finding ways to create the experiences you feel they need.